Would going from Dayton Audio to Image Dynamics be an upgrade?

Phase One
10+ year member

PA
Currently I have 2 12" Dayton Audio HO (well, 1 now) in a sealed enclosure. 1.1cf each. I blew 1 sub a few weeks ago, no clue how I did since I don't normally play them loud. I heard a weird "tinging/rattling" noise from the sub then it just quit after. When you press down on the top it would make a scratching noise then wouldn't move at all. Well, the other sub I have is starting to make the same tinging/scratching noise at low volumes but not at high volumes??? Doesn't make sense. So, I'm assuming that one is going to go out soon as well. I only had them for almost a year. The amp is a JBL GTO1201.1 amp. Both subs are wired @ 2ohms for 1111rms.

Instead of re-buying the Daytons I want to try something that won't blow out on me in a short period of time. I love the SQ of the Daytons, would Image Dynamics be just as good or better than the Daytons in the SQ department?

If so, which ID subs would be a good choice in a small sealed enclosure with 787-1111rms of power?

The IDMAX is a little out of my price range, I was looking at the IDQ or the ID12v3.

Or what would be another good sub in the SQ department that would perform well with the box and power that I have? I'd like to spend 250-300 per sub.

Never heard of someone blowing the Daytons like that after that short of a period on that little bit of power. They're one of the more solid subs out there. You sure you're not clipping the shit out of them? I'd make sure your voltage and everything is alright before I went and installed new subs... Something isn't right.

Not really an upgrade, if anything a bit of a downgrade in the SQ department. Image dynamics makes good SQ gear in the realm of car audio, dayton uses shorting rings and is home audio based, so not quite in the same league, but close. You probably need to try a ported box next time. Sounds like you wanted a bit more output than the Daytons could do in a sealed box, which given their specs that's understandable, they'd do better in smalled ported boxes than small sealed ones, IMO. IDQ's dont' like to be overpowered much either, both the IDQ's and IDMAX use a pretty tight gap and it doesn't take much to overheat a coil and have it rub. If you want to try something different the IDQ isnt' a bad place to look, just try ported tuned low next time.

Instead of re-buying the Daytons I want to try something that won't blow out on me in a short period of time.
Fix your settings. It isn't the subwoofer that blew quickly on you, YOU blew the subwoofer quickly.

Weird Dayton's are pretty tough woofers. As far as sq I would say the id's would be a slight downgrade the question would be could your ear tell the difference.. I would personally go with something from sundown, or maybe a shiva if you really want the sq. but honestly in your budget you are not going to hear a whole buncha difference in sq between the id, sundown, or a focal without really getting serious with the sound deadner.

With your budget grab a quality set of woofers and the focus on making the cabin as rattle proof as possible.

Dayton is a great woofer I just think a pair of sundown's or id's or a single tc in the right box would make ya happy.

Fix your settings. It isn't the subwoofer that blew quickly on you, YOU blew the subwoofer quickly.
^^^ This

The IDQ & IDMAX are 2" coil drivers with very tight tolerances,with little or no cooling ( they are SQ drivers) if you overpower them the way you did the daytons they probably won't last as long honestly, look into some nice 3" coil drivers Fi,Incriminator Audio (Li/FL), SSA, etc.

and going with a low tuned ported enclosure if space permits was a good sugg. as well

^^^ ThisThe IDQ & IDMAX are 2" coil drivers with very tight tolerances,with little or no cooling ( they are SQ drivers) if you overpower them the way you did the daytons they probably won't last as long honestly, look into some nice 3" coil drivers Fi,Incriminator Audio (Li/FL), SSA, etc.

and going with a low tuned ported enclosure if space permits was a good sugg. as well
The is max coil is smaller but they have a great cooling system which allows them to take that kind of power but to say they can't take more is quite moronic we threw 3k to a pair for two years never had a problem. When we reconed them to add the crome basket the coils were still good

^^^ ThisThe IDQ & IDMAX are 2" coil drivers with very tight tolerances,with little or no cooling ( they are SQ drivers) if you overpower them the way you did the daytons they probably won't last as long honestly, look into some nice 3" coil drivers Fi,Incriminator Audio (Li/FL), SSA, etc.

Aren't the ho rated at 500 per?

I'd hardly call that overpowering if he was feeding them 1100.

Idmax will take plenty more than rated. I ran two off a orion 2500d in a ported setup for well over a year. Also fed one around 1700 off a jbl amp for a while. That one did end up failing but not with tjat amp. Actually was using like half that. First max I've ever had an issue with and I've owned at least 6 of them

tell me why sq drivers dont need cooling.. this should be fun
do I know you personally, do you know me ?

Where did I say SQ drivers don't need or use VC cooling ?

If he burnt the coils in the daytons then yes they were overpowered, I don't give a **** what the amp is rated or who made it ,regardless if it was clipping or otherwise he exceeded the thermal limitations of the drivers

If you put a 2500d or bigger on two subs that are only rated for 1k each and it last 10 years great, that doesn't mean you should recommend that people that don't have the experience and knowledge that you have

A pair of the IDMAX's should be fine on that amplifier, but if you have already cooked the daytons I would recommend going another route to something thats a little bit more durable with a quality 3" VC to handle the abuse

if you don't agree thats fine, but you can also kiss my *** that would be fine too

As far as me not knowing what i'm doing or talking about , well thats subjective , but i've been doing it for 19 years, and i was an ID dealer for 8 years from 2001 -2009 fyi

Yeah if he's breaking Dayton HO's on an 1100 watt amp, (JBLs are usually underrated though) then he's not going to do super well with an IDQ. I've even had former Team ID members from the 90's tell me the same thing about the coils. Something like an SSA ICON would be great if he can fit it into his budget. SQ is going to be similar to the ID or Dayton, but it'll handle 600 watts per driver just fine, even if he clips it a bit from time to time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.