Worst whine/noise problems ever!

jacko
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Okay. Yes i used the search function but did not find quite what i was looking for. i think I have the worst noise/whine problems ever in my '97 Bonneville. The noise/whine(i'm not sure what) is louder than the music when the car is on. symtoms: The car is switched to acc, and I turn on the deck(pioneer DEH2600), The power antenna going up makes a ton of noise come from the speakers. After this, there is noise coming from the speakers(not as much as when the antenna was powering up) (all speakers are amped in the trunk, along with the subs), and increases with volume. When i start the car up, The noise is just unbelievably loud from the speakers. However I cannot detect any noise coming from the subs. My grounds are down to metal for both amps, I'll try moving them towmrmow, but i don't think it's them because i tryed taking off the RCA's with the deck on, and after this there was no noise that I could detect, i could be wrong though. Couple questions about controversial things: How long can a ground wire be(short as possible i know) i've heard anywhere from 1.5 feet to 3 feet. Do speaker wires next to the power wire create noise? Does the RCA wire nxt to the pwr wire create noise? How far away? i should also mention that i've already had an amp in the trunk for a single sub, and rand ran the speakers from the same deck prior to this, without noise.

sounds like you got a terrible ground loop problem and with the car running its worse due to the 'alternator whine.'

if you have an external crossover not built into your amps thats most probably causing it but if you don't then you're probably picking up the whine from the interconnect cables. If you can try relocating them as far away from all electrical wiring. It may help to run the patch cables on one side of the car and all power cables on the other side. If this still doesn't stop the humming noise then you need better shielded RCA cables. If you say the sub doesn't make the noise than i wouldn't worry about those cables they should be fine. Just replace the interconnects for the hi's.

It may help to run an extra ground to the headunit (leave the current ground)

I only have one set of interconnects running the back, daisy chained the amps. Yes i have two external crossovers for the front speakers, sitting right by each other and next to the RCA interconnect. Will the external crossovers still create noise/static among the other when unconnected from the amp? In my last install in that car I ran those interconnects almost on top of the power wire for the last 3-4 feet of the run without any problems. But that was when there were no external crossovers/only one amp for the subs.

I had a similar problem one time. I found one of my RCA cable ends was touching metal. I just used some electrical tape to cover the exposed metal of the RCA and problem was solved. ( I hope that makes sense)

nope, rca's arn't touching metal. I just messed with it a bit more, and these are the only two problems i really have: When the antenna goes up with the car on ACC, the motor for the antenna makes a huge noise through the speakers. When the car is turned on, i think alternator whine comes to play. I can't even listen to the stereo the whine is so bad when with the car on.

No, the deck is the same pioneer i installed in january. However I should also note that when the car is off, There is no alt whine, but Then it's like i can hear the laser moving when i change tracks. However this is after once i turn a corner to hard, and the amp must have came undone because the power cable became unconnected and blew the fuse by the batter for the 8ga. Only after that did the noise when i changed tracks on the disc came. There is also the power antenna that makes noise thru the speakers when it is powering it up.

Some really un-expert replies up there. You have a difference in ground potentials. It is most likey caused by the crappy ground plane that Pioneer head units are known for. In the future list all of the installed equipment and the vehicle year / make / model. Go to this site http://www.the12volt.com and read the grounding stickies in the car audio forum.

Subs/Speakers:

-2-12" pioneer TS-W300R in sealed boxes

-sony 6x9's on rear deck

-Audiobahn ACS 3.5in. w/ external crossover, tweets on pillers, woofers under dash in box, on exhaust hump

Deck:

-Pioneer DEH2600

'97 bonneville SE.

Amps-

-PA LT960/2 -subs

-AudiobahnA2002t- 6x9's and A-bahn front speakers

-Stinger 4 guage wire kit

-RF fuse ANL distro block

Would re-grounding the deck help?

I had this same problem when I hooked my old volfenhag amp to my speakers and ran the power wires and rca's right next to each other....I was such a newb with no one to help.....sigh...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.