wood

You are asking a contradictory question. MDF is strong and good for speakers because it damps well. These characteristics are clearly seen by how much it weighs. Lighter materials resonate horribly, which is why they are not used.

there is this partical board i get at lowes and its wrolds just as good a mdf and cheaper 10 a sheet instead of 20

but if you use it make sure you resin the inside

there is this partical board i get at lowes and its wrolds just as good a mdf and cheaper 10 a sheet instead of 20
particle board?!!? ummmmm, IDK:uhoh: . tell me more about it

Using particleboard is not an ideal wood to use raw. hence, it is cheaper to use MDF because you have to treat the wood to get it to the same quality as MDF. Waste of time and money when you can get a characteristically good wood without modifications. This is without saying that particle board likes to resonate and can even explode..

its pretty much the same its 3/4" its lighter though you dont wanna use it if your gonna be making a box for a huge woofer i dunno maby i can find you a link to it one sec

i just use 1/4 inch hard board and paint on some resin. i have also used cardboard covered in resin...very strong but that was only for panels or covers. what do you need it for?

its works great for me

have u used it before? see thats what i used to thinkabout it untill i used it ... it makes the same kind of bass mdf does

for the tempest................ that i'm still afraid of

i decided to go with a 8.51 cu ft box with ONE PORT (wink and wink) tuned to about 15 - 16Hz

its pretty much the same its 3/4" its lighter though you dont wanna use it if your gonna be making a box for a huge woofer i dunno maby i can find you a link to it one sec
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif Particle board is NOT pretty much the same as MDF. Why do you think that most loudspeaker companies use mdf cabinets and bracing? Because it doesn't have a strong tendency to resonate at certain frequency, much unlike lighter and less damping woods such as particle board. Good plywoods are very nice and can be excellent, but they are expensive. B&W uses all MDF construction on the new 800 series.

i just use 1/4 inch hard board and paint on some resin. i have also used cardboard covered in resin...very strong but that was only for panels or covers. what do you need it for?
You people are coming out of the woodowork today //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.