Wong05tsx's first box build log

I would replace that front panel. It is way too short on all the sides to even think about fixing any other way.
I wouldn't trust the front baffle...
I was thinking the same thing. I just sealed every edge with silicone today and everything is super tight and that front panel is really sturdy as well (theres actually more bonding than what it looks like from the pic)

I'm picking up some carpet tomorrow to carpet it..

I'm also pretty sure that I will be building a new ported box in the coming months since almost every idq review recommended a ported box, and i'll take measurements after i clear out my trunk to put this sealed box in.

I'm sure my next box will come out 90% better... I won't be going to HD again for my cuts thats for sure!

Will update tomorrow with picture after carpeted

Did the siliconing yesterday and carpeting today... the **** carpet cost more than the box! (Jipped home depot, paid for one when i had 3 haha (cashiers cant tell when they cut it for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif)

Pic of the siliconing yesterday

P1010328.jpg

That thing should **** well be air tight now!

Pics of carpeting, it actually turned out pretty well, when I did measurements I kind of under estimated the amount of carpet I needed, so I was like half an inch short on flaps side, but i fixed it with a little bit of customization (cut out circles with the help of the bottom of my trash can so it kind of looks like it was intentional //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif)

Finished product:

P1010333.jpg

P1010334.jpg

Bottom:

P1010335.jpg

Side 1, this will be the only side you will see since itll be facing the navi unit side, think i did a good job with hiding the flaws with that circle //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (the flash actually brought out the open wood on the seams, if you just look at it with bare eye, you can't see the wood)

P1010332.jpg

The other side, same thing, but the uncarpeted area was smaller so i only needed a smaller one, it won't be able to be seen if you just look at it anyway since it'll be against the wall of the car

P1010336.jpg

and polyfilled about 1/2 lb

P1010337.jpg

note: most of the sides did not sit flush, which is why the corners don't look too sharp :x

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the results considering this is my first build. I'm gonna start doing plans for a 2.5cu ported box 30hz... and this time actually have a real saw to do the cuts.. **** HD

Haters... I understand it is your job as a hater to hate, so if you have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me.

Criticize all you want, i'll take it as advice for my next build, which im sure will be 50x better than this since I will have precision cuts!

I would work on carpeting skills a bit, or learn to appreciate a bare, all natural box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Also, I noticed that look metal joint brace. It's probably completely unnecessary if you did a good job on gluing and clamping. And even if you didn't do that great of a job, it doesn't really look sturdy enough to make a difference.

Mr. UPS man paid me a visit today, right when it stopped raining outside, so me being overly excited, rushed to get my box out of the other room, opened the box, screwed the b**** on and headed straight for the door to put it in the car. All in the 10 minutes or so from UPS coming to me going out the door, it began to rain heavily.. again.. **** bay area weather!

i wanted to take a pic of it coming in, but i got excited ;x, everything looks to be in working order, packed fairly well with big styrofoam. (bought from SPY - I'll let you know after its hooked up, followed by a feedback)

just a pic, for now.

P1010353.jpg

this box is only gonna bei n for about a month or two, gonna be starting my 2nd build soon when i get the money thanks for the design, Mr Cabinetry

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263705&page=3

how big is the box? Mine is in 1.55cuft sealed. I like it although i plan on either getting a new sub for a change or building a ported box just to change things up.

edit: i reread it sorry. how many watts you sending it? 500 from the jl? that would be amazing

how big is the box? Mine is in 1.55cuft sealed. I like it although i plan on either getting a new sub for a change or building a ported box just to change things up.
edit: i reread it sorry. how many watts you sending it? 500 from the jl? that would be amazing
its 1.53cu ft. I just got it hooked up with a bunch of flashlights in my trunk, but tuning amps is one thing that im not good at and i dont have a multimeter. It's working, but it isn't loud at all, its got the lows good, but missing alot of the highs (might just be tuning issues), I havn't touched the amp since the type R w/ ported box was in there.

a 15" idq should be able to get louder, if not, just as loud as a 12" type R shouldn't it?

imma bring it in to my system installer tomorrow to tune it for me i dont wanna mess anything up

edit: to answer your question, yeah its a jl 500/1, kinna underrated im guessing its giving about 600 rms

600watts is perfect for a sealed box about the same size as mine. Maybe you have air leaks and that is hurting its performance? mine sealed with 500rms maybe a little more flexing my windshield on a 32hz test tone i cant wait to build this ported box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.