wiring trunk battery to alt

Participant count
  • Participant list

Polski13
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
MI
I already have the big three taken care of for my H/O alt and I want to run 1/0 from the positive on my alt to the positive on my battery in the trunk if my car. Is this ok to do? Will it benefit my system and car? Or will it screw things up?

I already have the big three taken care of for my H/O alt and I want to run 1/0 from the positive on my alt to the positive on my battery in the trunk if my car. Is this ok to do? Will it benefit my system and car? Or will it screw things up?
Yea its OK to do. How many amps is alt?

Well technically, you want to run it from the alt to a fuse near-by then to a fuse in the trunk, then to the battery. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Well technically, you want to run it from the alt to a fuse near-by then to a fuse in the trunk, then to the battery. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
^What he said, my bad! Too early lol

Ok ill use two 300 amp fuses. I was kind of planning on that but wasn't sure what size to use exactly

Use 1/0 wire and a 300a fuse (x2). That is what I would do.
Curious, why 2? I wanna learnt good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif

You want one at the front, and one at the rear. Basically to isolate the wire in case something stupid happens. Say the wire grounds out to the firewall. The fuses would pop rather than the wire burning up. Standard procedure with a long run IMO. Especially between batteries, or in this case alt and battery.

Curious, why 2? I wanna learnt good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif
Extra protection on both ends ...curious as to why run from the alt to the back batteries ?? not sure the gainover running from front battery to bacl batts

You want one at the front, and one at the rear. Basically to isolate the wire in case something stupid happens. Say the wire grounds out to the firewall. The fuses would pop rather than the wire burning up. Standard procedure with a long run IMO. Especially between batteries, or in this case alt and battery.
Aha! Makes sense, thanks.

Extra protection on both ends ...curious as to why run from the alt to the back batteries ?? not sure the gainover running from front battery to bacl batts
I would guess he's isolating backups from front batt? Not sure, guess it'll be more direct? Instead of having the front battery as middle man. IDK Ive never done it that way.

Good question. If there is a front battery, then you will want to go there with that alt cable. Why send that power all the way across that wire to the back? Take the long run and go from that same fuse you were going to use for the alt and go right to the front battery. Then from the alt to the front battery (with or without a fuse on that wire). The fuse in the trunk before the rear battery still needs to be there though.

Does that make any sense?

I was just wondering why he was wanting to go from alt to back batts if there was a front batt??.. jus go from front to back
Maybe he isn't running a battery up front. Could be a few reasons why, but I ran mine without a front until last week. The wiring is the same though. I just isolated/insulated the POS terminal for the front battery while it was out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.