Wiring three dual 1 ohm subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

ancorp
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Toronto
Hey guys so I need to figure out the best way to wire three dual 1 ohm subs to a 1.5 ohm final load (It's going on a pair of strapped amplifiers so I cannot go below 1 ohm, so 0.66 ohms is not an option).

I can either put each woofers coils in parallel, making them 0.5 ohms per woofer, and then series all three woofers to 1.5 ohms.

OR

I can series one coil from each woofer to give me 3 ohms (and the other coil from each woofer for another 3 ohms) and put both 3 ohm sets in parallel to get 1.5 ohms.

See my crude drawing below:

View attachment 26548918

Each sub. Jump coil one pos to coil 2 neg then all 3 subs pos together and all 3 subs neg together then to the amp Should be 1.5
If I jump coil one pos to coil 2 neg as you said, I'd be wiring each sub in series - so each will be 1+1 = 2 ohms. When when I put all 3 subs together it'll be 0.66 ohms.

If I jump coil one pos to coil 2 neg as you said, I'd be wiring each sub in series - so each will be 1+1 = 2 ohms. When when I put all 3 subs together it'll be 0.66 ohms.[/Each sub at .5. Then in series to 1.5

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't wire subs to different impedances. You can either wire them to 6Ω or 1.5Ω gross impedance. And that will either be 3Ω or .75Ω per amp.

Honestly, if you're strapping two amps on three D1 subs, the equipment you have should be of high enough quality to run at .75Ω.

Of course I'm not going to wire two to 2 ohms and then one to 0.5. The question is whats the best way to get 1.5 ohms? All subs wired to 0.5 and then in series, or one coil each in series at 3 ohms, parallel to the other set of 3 coils to make 1.5 as well?

The amps ran 0.5 each all summer last year with a pair of these dual 1 subs wired to 1 ohm strapped, so they will be fine with 0.75 each.

3_1ohm_dvc_067ohm.gif

3_1ohm_dvc_1.5ohm.gif

3_1ohm_dvc_6ohm.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.