wiring harness 04 silverado HELP

atlninja82
10+ year member

i like to fish
atlanta
im helping my buddy out install a headunit and we went to best buy yesterday to get a wiring harness. the guy said it was going to be 160 bucks. i said F that thats ridiculous. so we went to the local car audio shop about 3 minutes down the road. they told us theres an easy way and a hard way to do it. the easy way is buy the 160 dollar harness or get a 15 dollar harness and do it the hard way. i said ok why is it any harder? he said i have to reach way back in the dash and pull out another harness from the back and connect that instead of the one that connected into the factory head unit. i said ok ill try that. so i did and there is no harness to be found. maybe im not looking in the right spot. but today i tried to connect the wiring harness to the stock on and it fit. so i thought to myself , "it fits so it should work right?" and i guess i was wrong because it didnt even turn on. so if any one has any info on what the hell im doing wrong id really appreciate it.

thanks a lot,

-eric

well it doesnt turn on becusae there is no ignition wire present, the 150 dollar harness interuprits the bcm signal and turns the radio on, you need to run a wire from the fuse box or the ignition harness to the radio for switche power

now if it was the digital bose system which idk if that car is or not then you got real problems, otherwise if its a standard bose system u probally will need to splice some rca ends on and use the preouts from the radio

the ignition is the yellow wire from the harness correct? and where is the ignition harness? and where do i connec the rcas from the headunit to? this is the most confusing **** ive had to do. but ill figure it out. just bear with me. thanks for the help.

yes it is the red wire and u either need to tap into the an ignition wire in the main ignition harness or at the fuse box

you may be able to just wire up the speaker wires and it works or it may not sound right meaning u have to add ur own rca ends to the gm wiring harness and plug it into the rca plugs on the radio. also you will prly need to connect the remote wire from the radio to the amp/antenna wire on the gm harness

honestly it really sounds like you need the 150 dollar harness designed to do all of this for you

Man its been a while but I think that you can get a harness from a 2002 and it will work you will lose the door chime and your cd player will turn off when you turn the truck off not when you open the door

Yeah, that bose makes it hard... that harness makes it easy but it's a **** ton of money. I've just used the cheap regular harnesses and done it the hard way on my friend's vehicles that had the crappy ass bose "system"

I dont post much but you seem to need some real help here. You can catch a switch wire at the brown heavy guage wire behind the fuse box. Simply drop the underdash panel on the driver side and on the side closest the door there will be a small openning with a few heavy guage wires the brown is the switched wire. As for your speakers and such if you have a center console the amplifier is under the cup holder in the center console. Once you pull it up all the twisted wire pairs are your speaker wires. The seperate plug wothe the two pairs of twisted wires are the factory sub. If you don't have a console then the amplifier should be behind the glovebox with the wires remaining the same.

I just happen to have a peripheral gmaa harness for sale very cheap. Check the peripheral site and see if this will work for your friends truck and if so will make u a great deal. His truck needs to have premium bose for it to work. I use another gmaa in my denali and it made things very easy. Senses the data bus line, gives you a turn on lead, and removes factory eq'ing from the rca outs. Check here and tell me if this is what the shop told you that you needed.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371989&highlight=gmaa

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.