Wiring amp with stock head unit...

Participant count
  • Participant list

jl8806

KY
First post here! I know pretty much nothing about car audio but I own 3 trucks and a suv so I have plenty to learn/practice on. I'm a fairly decent mechanic but I've never ventured into audio before and I would really like to get pretty good with it so I will definitely be asking lots of questions starting out! That being said I know how forums work so I hope everyone will take it easy on me, I have searched for days and talked to different people but for some reason I still cant get this figured out. So here goes...

I have an 08 chevy silverado 4-door lt non-bose, I bought a stock bose/nav unit. After talking to lots of people I was told I would be better off just selling this and going with an aftermarket unit, so I did the exact opposite and figured since I already had it I might as well try and make it work...

Here's what I've figured out so far after hours of research, If I'm wrong about any of this then someone correct me. Everyone has said that it simply wouldn't work with the bose headunit because the bose units sent a digital signal to the bose amp and then the amp sends the sound signal. This is true on some of the bose stuff like in cadillacs and denalis but the unit I have sends the sound straight from the head unit, it does however require a amp, when I installed it and had it programmed for my truck it worked but the volume would not get very loud. Hence the need for an amp, instead of finding a factory bose amp and harness I just bought a 600 watt kicker amp to go with my kicker door speakers. I wired everything up yesterday and left everything apart to just see how it was going to work, thankfully I'm on the right path but hooking the amp up is where I have some bugs... I bought a line output converter, I was under the impression that I could take the speaker signal from the left and right rear speakers and feed into the converter, hook the converter to the amp with the rca cords then just run my wires to the speakers from my amp. That worked in the back but when I ran speaker wires to the front I got nothing. So I hope this wasn't a bad idea but I ran the signal wires from the front and tied them in, so all of the signal wires are tied into the one converter, I now have loud sound at all the speakers but I know this is probably not the correct way to do it. That's where I'm needing more help, do I just need to get another converter and run 2 of them, one for the front and back? Also I was wondering if the gm 1416 from pac audio would solve all of this? Thanks for any help and please have patience with me, like i said before I'm still learning it's all new to me...

At the moment I am just because of what it would cost to go aftermarket and keep the nav, steering wheel controls and sirius xm. I've got just a tad over $200 in this stock headunit including having it programmed. In the future I would upgrade but I still want something factory looking I can't stand the flashy, shiny buttons and look of some units... looks cheap to me even though whats inside aND the price tag may not be...

I'm about to just give up and take it somewhere, I need a 4 channel LOC right? Or can I just get another 2 channel like I have and just run 2 of them? Also I have an awful whine thru the speakers that goes up and down with the engine rpm's. I've turned the gain down on the converter and amp and that's helped some but it's still there...

Yes, I am... I picked up another today at a car audio shop, it's an axess brand, the other one is whatever best buy sold me. I'm going to try it tomorrow...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.