wiring a voice coil

Originally posted by mamey69 In a sub with 2 4ohm voice coil....... can you buy 1 two channel amplifier and plug one channel to a voice coil and the other channel to the other voice coil?????

help aprecciated
I thinks its safer and easier to wire the subs to 4 ohms and bridge the amp.

agreed. you do not want to hook them up in that configuration. if your two channels are hooked up in stereo, which is very likely, you will get two different signals to each voice coil. but you cannot hook them up for a 4 ohm load. with 4 ohm dvc's, u have to wire them in parallel to get a 2 ohm load. in turn, you will need either a mono or 2channel (bridged) amp that is stable at 2 ohms.. good luck

You will also get more power if the amp is bridged and ran at 2ohms. If the reason you want to do this is because of the amp is not 2ohm mono stable, you could try and run a channel to each VC, just split either the left or right RCA going into the amp so each VC is getting the same signal.

i hope the guy hasn't bought a 2 channel amp yet. i thought he said he already had one. anyways if he stills looks at this just buy a mono amp. wire it to 2 ohms and be thumping. but what kind of 2 channel amp were u thinking of getting?

Worth noting...

Not all stereo (2ch) amps rated to support a minimum 2-ohm load are rated per channel, stereo. Many of them can not handle a 2-ohm mono load (perceived as 1-ohm stereo by the amp's internals) but rather support 4-ohms as the lowest mono configuration.

if he were to wire it up in stereo there is the problem with one VC geting a different signal but if the head unit has a non fading sub out isnt that a mono out put? so wouldnt bloth VC's get the same signal?

hi want to do that because I´m thinking in the future, in case I want to buy one more sub..

the amp is 200x2 and 600x1 so rigth now i have one sub so i run it at 400rms (200 to each voice coil) but in case i want to buy another sub I can use the same amp bridged to 600x1

it is safe to do that?

pd: i´m about to buy the amp.. (profile 800sx)

...As long as each VC gets the same signal. You can't run the left channel to one VC and the right to the other. It may sound ok now but your VC's will work against each other and your sub will only last a few months at most. Your best bet would be to get another sub. Or run the amp at 2ohm mono (bridged) if it can handle it.

Originally posted by Trixter You will also get more power if the amp is bridged and ran at 2ohms. If the reason you want to do this is because of the amp is not 2ohm mono stable, you could try and run a channel to each VC, just split either the left or right RCA going into the amp so each VC is getting the same signal.
how is that of split the RCA going to the amp??? that way the VC would be receiving the same signal and nothing will happend???

Originally posted by mamey69 how is that of split the RCA going to the amp??? that way the VC would be receiving the same signal and nothing will happend???
By splitting the RCA going to the amp, each VC would get the same signal and it can run safely. Really the amp will be running in mono, but only off either the left or right channel. Split either the left or the right RCA and send it to the amp, cap off the unused RCA.

Originally posted by Trixter By splitting the RCA going to the amp, each VC would get the same signal and it can run safely. Really the amp will be running in mono, but only off either the left or right channel. Split either the left or the right RCA and send it to the amp, cap off the unused RCA.
So, i will only use one RCA cable and the other would be useless???

thanks for helping me out trixter!

Originally posted by mamey69 So, i will only use one RCA cable and the other would be useless???

thanks for helping me out trixter!
Yes, if you really want to run 2 channels of an amp to one sub (one channel per VC).. the reason one is left 'useless' is to MAKE SURE you have the exact same signal going to both coils.. if you have left and right hooked up, the imaging might have different beats on each channel (beats/freq/etc) and the coils would try to do different things on the same woofer.. not a good idea..

So, yes.. only use one channel split to look like 2 inputs for the amp...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.