Wiring a HU in 2002 Grand Am GT

Gauntlet
5,000+ posts

bulletproof
My buddy has a 2002 Grand Am GT, and hes looking to put a system in it. Pontiac told him that the airbag circuitry is wired directly into the factory head unit, and to install an aftermarket receiver he'd have to find the wire and re-direct into a fuse. Hes not getting a a very extensive system, 2 Phoenix Gold Tantrum 12's and a Soundstream 300x2 amp, and he's on a very tight budget. I recommended he just use the stock HU and put the $$ towards his lease payments. Where can I get a line output converter for his car so there can be RCA preouts from the factory head unit? And does anybody know if a vehicle specific LO converter will be needed? I know Pontiac changed a lot in the 2002 model

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Gauntlet My buddy has a 2002 Grand Am GT, and hes looking to put a system in it. Pontiac told him that the airbag circuitry is wired directly into the factory head unit, and to install an aftermarket receiver he'd have to find the wire and re-direct into a fuse. Hes not getting a a very extensive system, 2 Phoenix Gold Tantrum 12's and a Soundstream 300x2 amp, and he's on a very tight budget. I recommended he just use the stock HU and put the $$ towards his lease payments. Where can I get a line output converter for his car so there can be RCA preouts from the factory head unit? And does anybody know if a vehicle specific LO converter will be needed? I know Pontiac changed a lot in the 2002 model

Thanks in advance
ive never heard of this and im a grand am freak. i know that with late model GA's a new headunit will get rid of the door chimes and stuff. go over to http://www.gmpowertalk.com and ask this question in the 99-02 GA forum

im from grandamgt.com. my name is BumpinGT. This has been discussed wayyy to many times over there. No, it will not do anything crazy like that. I have heard people say your blinkers wont work either. The only thing it will do is get rid of the chimes...like when you have low gas and when one of the lights come on. (they are annoying anyways)

Probably any car where you hear the chimes through the speakers. This would mean it has to go through the head unit. My guess is most 2002 GM cars have it.

and btw. why would you want chimes anyway. there nothing more annoying then working on a car and the chime is like "ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ... ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding." then yhou find the dame thing and rip it out. and i cant tell you how many time ive worked on a car then when the owner gets it back hes like "what happened to my chimes?" and i say..."what chimes?" thats cause i find the dame thing and rip it out with my teeth. god i hate chimes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.