Wires won't fit into subwoofer terminals?

Hey guys, I feel like this is a dumb question but my logic leads me here anyway.

I am installing 2 subwoofers, and having a hard time figuring out how to fit the wire properly.

Wire/Fuse Guide - Electrical-battery- Alternators- Wiring - SMD Forum

Since I'm running 1500 watts I should use 8/10 gauge wire to wire in the speakers themselves to the amp.

The terminal on the subs is only big enough for 1 wire, 10 gauge or so max, a single 8 gauge wire will not fit.

If wiring down to a 1 ohm load, I don't have enough space in the terminal for the 3 wires found in the first positive speaker terminal after the amp, seen here.

http://images4.crutchfieldonline.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2-DVC-4-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Should I buy special connecters? Or cut the wire to fit? Or cut and then solder to a single strand?

I'm at a loss here. I could use tiny wire but that seems to defeat the purpose of a nice large amp.

Trimming wires is ok up until a point.

I say run a wire to each terminal and then make your connections at the other end of the wire. You can twist and tape an ungodly amount of wires together. One of the reasons direct leads are awesome

That's a good idea. At least I could guarantee the wires all met with sufficient gauges that way. Do they use distribution blocks in the massive set-ups?

use ring terms on the wire.

then use a bolt/washer/nut to put them together.

that how i have my d2 sub wired to 1 main wire going to amp.

im doing a wall with 6- 12"

so il be doing that with my new setup.

use the biggest wire that will fit your subs.

Thanks buddy! I'm amazed I need to be thinking about this with only ~1500 rms.
Anyone else want to chime in how they did this?
to be honest man, with only 1500 rms the most you'll be fine with 12 gauge. You only need 10 gauge when running 2.5k+ and 8 gauge when 4k+.

This is just speaker wire, there is not much current going through them like it does with power and ground wires. You wont gain anything from going 12 gauge to 10 gauge or 8 gauge with only 1500 rms.

If you really want to do it, solder and heat shrink. Waste of time unless you are going MUCH bigger with this.

IMG_20150604_213117.jpg

I use 4 bolt terminals per sub and have each wire going to its own bolt, then I'll take short pieces of wire with ring terminals and jump the terminals to set the impedance. Pretty much like you u would wire direct leads. My zvx8 has the smallest push terminals I've ever seen, they will barely hold 2 pieces of 18awg twisted together. You can also do your jumper on the outside of the box to change your impedance on the run. I'm actually going to be mountong it in the new box in a little bit, I'll snap some pictures of how I do it.

My xd8's were direct lead and I had 4 wires with ring terminals per sub. Only needed 2 bolt terminals since it was parallel/parallel.

Sent from my Motorola 2950 Special Edition 3w.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.