Wired my amp, Wont turn on!

ntg68
10+ year member

Maine
Hey guys i wired my amp correctly, as ive done it before.

I cant get any power, ive checked all my fuses ( 20 amp x2 in amp and 80 amp under the hood )

my remote wire is set up correctly, the only thing i can think of is my ground wire...

I used a self tapping screw and screwed it into the floor board, i scuffed away all the paint and sanded it down, not sure wtf?

I thought i had a dmm but i dont so i am kind of at a loss of ideas as to what can be causing it not to work??

any help is much appreciated!

thanks guys

Nate

take pic of ground. maybe amp is shot too thocheck the audio fuses on the car too.
will do. I have 2 amps and neither of them are getting power, i cant imagine both went to hell from sitting for a while.

but i will take a pic of the ground and check the audio fuses

WalMart is open 24/7 and has DMM's for like 5 bucks. Go get one.
unfortunately the local walmart is closed @ 12 am and i just drove past it at about 10 past haha

until tomorrow...

thanks guys

nate

Okay, i went to wallyworld and bought a dmm my power wire is fine but my remote isnt reading a thing.

I thought i had connected it the correct way... On the wiring harness theres a short Blue wire White stripe, it says AMP TURN ON (12 v+) This is the wire i connected to my remote wire that runs to the amp ( solid blue )

I must be missing something?

Any help is much appreciated

thanks!

nate

You might have your decks power antenna wire hooked to the remote on the harness. Set your deck to "tuner" & see if the amp comes on or take it out and double check. Power ant & rem from the deck are usually both blue, one will have a white stripe or other identifier.

connect it to the solid blue wire. Blue/white is for power antenna's that only turn on when the radio turns on.
wrong. Solid blue is power ant. Blue w/ white stripe is amp turn on. Amp turn on's usually have less than 1a tolerance might have burned it up.

Hey guys i noticed the amp turn on 12 v+ wire was going into the only plug that was hanging free.. lol

so i took my remote off of that wire and put it into the power antenna, now my amp is working.

The only problem i notice now is when i turn on AND turn off my radio, i get a single burst of bass like feedback or something. the only way i can avoid this is by turning the SubWoof option OFF immediately upon turning on my radio and before i shut it off?

Not sure why i am getting this feedback, everything is clear sounding besides that.

Thanks for all the help, any ideas why this feedback noise is coming lemme know!

thanks

nate

That thump is typically a bad ground, or RCA wires that aren't plugged in properly, as in, just not seated down completely, either at the deck or at the amp.
Okay i checked my rcas they are set good on both ends.

My ground is 8 gauge wire with a circle clamped end, held in by a self tapping screw to my floor board, i scuffed the paint down and then sanded it, not sure if its sufficient or not.

PS. My positive and negative cables are the same size, i feel like somebody told me once that the ground should be bigger?

Thanks

Nate

Use the DMM to check the resistance between your ground point and you're negative battery terminal. (Just get a long strand of any sort of wire to help you reach the battery as you obviously will not reach with just the DMM leads).

Use the DMM to check the resistance between your ground point and you're negative battery terminal. (Just get a long strand of any sort of wire to help you reach the battery as you obviously will not reach with just the DMM leads).
So Negative lead to battery, positive lead to amp?

And which setting do i use on the dmm? ( just got it today lol )

thanks

nate

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.