Wire size argument

Valid points, I suppose. Why would you want 140+dB? You certainly can't listen to it (from inside). You get into the 120's and you're looking at permanent hearing damage within a few minutes. To each their own, I guess. BTW my speakers I would classify as large bookshelves, not towers. They fit snugly across my tailgate in a full sized truck and sound quite good. Ported 3 ways in an actual enclosure. Do they move lots of air, nope. Just 8" woofs. They sound good and are louder than any mortal would ever need in their car. Do they have the punch my 100dB/w home speakers do with 300W of Mc power? Of course not. Do I use more than 5 watts at home very often? No. I have been known to utilize the powerguard lights from time to time. The dog, wife and guests vacate the room immediately. Its painfully loud. To the poster who said 200 watts could only tickle and couldn't possibly hurt, come visit me. You'll leave a deaf, better educated man.
You sir are making a fool of yourself. I've been exposed to 150+db system for almost 3 years and my hearing is just fine. I get monthly physicals for hearing check-ups since I work around lathe duplicators.

Whats your theory for all the people that sit in this vehicle? Are they tone deaf within a few minutes? I think not:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:

I know a few people possibly local to you on FL. I'm sure they would be happy to give you a demo of 150+db. Hell you could watch them sit in there for a full song and come out hearing just fine.

You sir are making a fool of yourself. I've been exposed to 150+db system for almost 3 years and my hearing is just fine. I get monthly physicals for hearing check-ups since I work around lathe duplicators.
Whats your theory for all the people that sit in this vehicle? Are they tone deaf within a few minutes? I think not:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:

Yes, like what has already been stated, bass is not nearly as sharp/damaging to your hearing as treble. Sit in a vehicle that is doing 130-140db at a much higher frequency and THAT is when your hearing will be gone very quickly.

Yes, like what has already been stated, bass is not nearly as sharp/damaging to your hearing as treble. Sit in a vehicle that is doing 130-140db at a much higher frequency and THAT is when your hearing will be gone very quickly.
160 at 70hz? I've heard that as well. Although I've never been to a comp where people burp woofers above 100hz:confused: So I would never know.

160 at 70hz? I've heard that as well. Although I've never been to a comp where people burp woofers above 100hz:confused: So I would never know.
Who says he is talking about subwoofers at all? The tweets in his Blazer/house could be what make your ears bleed. Not once did I see him say his subs would make your ears bleed off 200 watts. I am sure a very efficient tweeter off 200 watts COULD make you go deaf, since they take MUCH less power than subwoofers do to get loud.

Who says he is talking about subwoofers at all? The tweets in his Blazer/house could be what make your ears bleed. Not once did I see him say his subs would make your ears bleed off 200 watts. I am sure a very efficient tweeter off 200 watts COULD make you go deaf, since they take MUCH less power than subwoofers do to get loud.
Then why the fuck is he here on a "car audio" forum discussing home tweeters? I saw a couple posts about a blazer being loud enough off 200watts and the 120+ is permanent hearing damage. I can imagine the front row of a KMK concert is more than 120+db at the high frequencies.. My ears rang for maybe a couple minutes but thats it.

If he's here talking about home audio and tweeters he's in the wrong place.

Then why the fuck is he here on a "car audio" forum discussing home tweeters? I saw a couple posts about a blazer being loud enough off 200watts and the 120+ is permanent hearing damage. I can imagine the front row of a KMK concert is more than 120+db at the high frequencies.. My ears rang for maybe a couple minutes but thats it.
If he's here talking about home audio and tweeters he's in the wrong place.
I dont know for sure if thats what hes talking about. but from what I have read, that is what I have gathered. I really would have no clue what 120db from a tweeter/horn would sound like. I know most air horns are like 100-120db, and they can be heard from crazy distances away, and Im sure having one aimed at you from ~5 feet wouldnt be fun. So if a horn/tweeter can hold that volume for a while, I am sure that would hurt much more than ~150db+ at like 45hz from a subwoofer. Basically, if a tweeter could hit 120db+ off of 200 watts, I would think it COULD damage your hearing like what he is saying.

Also, I am just defending what he is saying, not why he is here on a CA forum which is basically all bassheads.

Come visit me, son. I'll tingle your ass to deafness. An hour in the same room with my stereo cranked will cause certain tinnitus. Not a pleasant thing to deal with (forever). Make an appointment for permanent hearing loss. Old school my ass. Put your "money" where your mouth is. I would personally not recommend taking me up on this offer. My 2, 4, 8 ohm (who cares) rating is 250 Watts/ch. Its probably a tad more but who cares when we're just tingling? McIntosh tends to underrate their stuff a bit. Okay maybe a lot. PM me. Otherwise STFU and install that crap you listed. Album side, why bother.
crap i listed lmfao, your a retard. you really have absolutely no idea about car audio i see. i will put my money where my mouth is. your 200w car amp vs my 400x, what subwoofer would you have in mind for this? we can use one of my vfl 15s if you dont have anything that can handle the power lol. actually to be honest i will have to be careful because the 400x is a lil bit of an overkill for the vfl. i will just have to be careful is all..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

edit: im sure someone would be willing to bring a TL for this. we can use same car and same subwoofer. just amp vs amp.

Produce 140db+ below 40hz with a 50 watt amp and I'll be impressed. Sensitive speakers are no new deal for anyone on here. We get that home audio is filled with very high sensitivity drivers(like you stated, 100db at 1w/1m is not uncommon). That's just not how car audio works. We don't have the room for a tapered horn box for our subs, nor do we have room for waveguides/horns for our tweets(in most cases).
Just try and move the kind of air that you see in the high powered setups with the kind of speakers you home audio guys normally use. And when you do strive for authoritative bass in an ebs type of alignment, most of them run to 18" subs and 1000's of watts(from what I've seen).
RyanM923, 8,588 posts
Everything he says is true.

/end thread

I'm glad you work for what you're worth. I get a measly $38 an hour plus benefits. I'm an electrician in the IBEW. I wouldn't get out of bed for $47/ hour. Have a nice day.
wow mr big bank hank here, your rates are not all that much higher than the operators rate. your rates in IL may be a lil higher than here but so is the cost of living genius. whats the operators rate there? about $3 an hour less than the sparky rate? you sit there and say you wouldnt get out of bed for $47 an hour your full of horse shiit. if you were that well off you wouldnt still be working in your 50s. honestly all the trade unions make a decent wage imo and are mostly within a few bux an hour from each other too. some trades get a higher rate but may not have as good of retirement, medical, annuity etc. it all kind of balances out to be pretty close. to sit there and put someone down that makes about the same living as you for the location you live is just stupidity at its best. have a nice day.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

AC or DC doesn't matter. Amps are amps are amps. As a matter of fact the conductor property tables list resistance/foot as DC values. Imagine that. That's because AC computations get a little complex, so they kept it simple. Additional calculations are required for some AC loads, DC loads are as simple as they get. The tables most certainly don't apply to AC only. Tesla has taken over? He specialized in AC (over Einstein's objections) my young uninformed friend. Tesla coils don't work too well on DC. Google, learn, then post.
Yes Tesla has taken over.....we no longer work on Edison's design.

you do realize we are talking CAR audio on this site don't you?are you trying to tell me in 5 minutes at 140 db in a vehicle caused hearing damage? I believe I, along with my audiologist, disagree.
****ing fail.

Deeper notes wont cause damage AS FAST as higher pitched notes will at the same db level. People can sit in cars hitting 150db with their subwoofer every day, and not have it affect them for a while. BUT if you were to sit in a car doing 150db with just notes that were like 800hz+, you would go deaf almost immediately.

Deeper notes wont cause damage AS FAST as higher pitched notes will at the same db level. People can sit in cars hitting 150db with their subwoofer every day, and not have it affect them for a while. BUT if you were to sit in a car doing 150db with just notes that were like 800hz+, you would go deaf almost immediately.
Ding ding ding! Winner. Just because you can still hear after abusing your ears for a couple years doesn't mean you will be able to when you're 50 or 60. Just because it's causing damage doesn't mean it will have instantaneous effects.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.