Wire Polarity

Participant count
  • Participant list

quiksilver723

I just did my first 6x9, do-it-yourself, speaker install. I used the existing wires from the factory speakers, and I wasn't sure which one was positive or negative. they sound fine though. I was wondering if the polarities were wrong would that effect anything? or would the speakers just not work, like a battery? any thoughts would help out a lot. thanx

Nick

Usually factory speaker wiring has a stripe on one wire for the + side. Sometimes they also use a big terminal for + and a small one for -.

If one speaker is wired differently than the other you'll get cancellation and they won't seem as loud as they should be for the power youre putting in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.