will this give me 300watts rms per sub (2 dvc 12's)???

Participant count
  • Participant list

justchillin
10+ year member

DC Metro
will a mono amp rated for 600watts x 1 @ 2 ohms and 300watts x 1 @ 4ohms give me 300 watts to each of my 12" dvc subs (4ohms/4ohms) if wired as follows?

positive (amp) to one positive on each sub

negative (amp) to one negative on each sub

2nd neg (sub) to 2nd postive on the same sub - with this done to the 2nd sub aswell

I got this info on a diagram here:

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spkrmlti.htm

will this setup give me the 300watts rms per sub that i want???

if not what would i have to change???

thanks

No, by doing that, you are only using one voice coil per sub. Your amp would see a 2 ohm load. You can achieve a 4 ohm load by wiring the (2) voice coils in parallel on each sub, then wiring the two subs in series, or vice versa. Wiring everything in parallel would give you a 1 ohm load, or everthing in series gives you a 16 ohm load. Hope this helps.

wire as follows

spk4sp4.gif

it will produce a 4 ohm load

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your scenerio. Yes, the last diagram would be a single 4 ohm load, only allowing an output of 300 watts total (only 150 per sub).

so is there a way to wire it that would give me 300 watts rms on each sub or would i need a amp rated at 600watts rms @ 4 ohms???

Goddyd4me: i'm not sure i understand your diagram since it has 4 subs instead of 2???

You can wire all coils in parallel (all positives together and all negatives together), but this will give you a 1 ohm load. You would then need a one ohm stable amp (not all are). You would normally be looking at quite a bit more power than 300 per sub hooked up like this. If I am thinking right, your only choices for one channel would be 1,4, or 16 ohms. Goddyd's diagram is essentiallly the same as yours, both have 4-4 ohm voice coils. Hope this helps.

ok any suggestions on amps then...1 or 2 12" dvc type r subs rated at 300watts rms and 1000watts max each....

any suggestions????

actually if you could tell me what wattage @ x ohms that would be great...

thanks

Consider the JBL bp1200.1. It does 600 x 1 @ 4 ohms, or 1200x1 at 1 or 2 ohms. That would give you at least 300 per sub and can be had for less than $250. You could always get a 2 channel amp, probably one that does 150 x 2 at 4 ohms and 300 x2 at 2 ohms. When you wire your subs voice coils in parallel, you get a 2 ohm load for each sub. Hope this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.