Will This Amp Work?

Participant count
  • Participant list

wallyg

so i bought 2 12" memphis hpo's (or m3's)

specs: 12" M3 Dual 2 Ohm Series Subwoofer

Power Handling:

Peak: 800 watts

RMS: 400 watts

Impedance: Dual 2 ohm

Kevlar reinforced paper cone

High-density foam surround

Custom-cast vented "M" Basket

Bolt-through modular motor for easy repair

Orange finish

Dual 2 ohm voice coils

2.5" Black anodized aluminum 4-layer voice coil former

85oz. Magnet

Sensitivity: 90 dB

this is the amp:

Pioneer GM-5500T 820 Watt 2-Channel Car Audio Class A/B Power Amplifier Amp

will this amp work and will it make the subs get really loud? im extremely new to this

Will it work?

100% yes.

Will it work WELL?

Not really.

Ideally, you'd want to drive each sub with around 400w rms.

Since they're dual 2's, the best that amp can do for them is 125w each.

They'd work ok, but you'd be leaving a lot of performance untapped.

You need to look for a good quality mono amp that is around 800w rms at 2 ohms. Anything in the 600-1000w rms range.

A few examples:

on the cheap: Hifonics HFi1000D (HFi 1000D) Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp

MB Quart ONX1.1000D - ONYX Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp

a little better: Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D BRZ 1200.1D Class D Car Amplifier/Amp

nice amp: JBL GTO-751EZ Monoblock GTO Series Class D Car Amplifier

it can but only at 4 ohm stereo.so not much power will come from it .the boss amp is junk ,dontt even **** with it not worth the money .do you have a budget and do you want new or used

so this would work well?
BOSS AUDIO AR1600.2 1600 WATT 2/1 CHANNEL CAR AMPLIFIER SUB SUBWOOFER AMP KNOB
Boss amps are ridiculously over-rated, and their quality in general is very low.

The 25A fuses indicate it would be around 500w rms at minimum impedance (2 ohms stereo, 4 ohms bridged), but with dual 2's you can't run it at minimum impedance. You'd be stuck with 4 ohm stereo getting you 150-200w rms per sub.

Your best bet at a reasonable amount of power and low cost would be a mono amp. At 500-800w rms they're going to be cheaper than a 2 ch.

Here are some budget friendly amps that are at least serviceable.

A little over-rated, but should give you 250w per sub: MB Quart FX1.600 (fx1600) 600W RMS 1-Channel Monoblock Formula[query_id]=12381919

Also a little over-rated, but in the 350w range per sub: Power Acoustik CPT1-2000 Monoblock Car Amplifier

400w+ per sub: Hifonics HFi1500D (HFi 1500D) Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp[query_id]=12381940

You'd wire the subs like this: http://m.seimg.net/product/img/subwoofer_wiring/2_subs_DVC_2_ohm_mono.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.