Will this alternator be enough?

twister
10+ year member

I have a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT with, I think it's an 85 amp alternator. I'm installing an Audiobahn A12001DT which is rated at 1200RMS @ 1 Ohm. Will a 120 amp alternator be enough with the big 3 upgrade or will I need a higher amp alternator?

120A in a car like that should be good for 2000w or more. I've got a 110A in a car with quite a bit of stock electrical demand running about 1200w and never get below 14v.

Hey, i have an Excessive Amperage alternator 170a h/o alt for sale if your interested. Its for all neons.
I just finally got around to putting in my 220A alt from Nathan in today //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Hi guys, i have a 12inch type r installed with an amp driving it along with some components sets driven by an amp as well and my lights are dimming. Its in a 2000 Honda Civic Coupe. What size alternator do you think I should get? Also if I take my car to a mechanic and tell him I want the "Big 3" done, will he now what the hell im talking about? What should I do first the Big 3 or alternator and what size alternator should I get?

Hi guys, i have a 12inch type r installed with an amp driving it along with some components sets driven by an amp as well and my lights are dimming. Its in a 2000 Honda Civic Coupe. What size alternator do you think I should get? Also if I take my car to a mechanic and tell him I want the "Big 3" done, will he now what the hell im talking about? What should I do first the Big 3 or alternator and what size alternator should I get?
The first thing you should do is the big three, it is simply three wires that you are adding to raise the stability of your electrical system. If you asked a mechanic to do it I doubt he would have a clue what you are talking about... Even a car audio shop might think you are crazy, they might know what it is but under a different name (the audio shop that is, not the mechanic.) The Big Three is really an easy upgrade that can be done yourself, which I reccomend.

If you still have dimming after the Big Three, then start thinking about an altenator.

Thanks, I ordered the alternator today. I'm going to be using 4 gauge wire to upgrade the big 3, would it be alright to use a 300A fuse for the atlernator to battery wire? The only reason I was planning on using a 300A was because in the future, I'm probably going to be redoing everything with 1/0 gauge so that'd just save me some time if I already have the correct size fuse. The battery cable that is already in place runs from the battery (+) to the starter and then from the starter to the alternator. Can I just run the new cable directly from the alternator to the battery or does it need to go to the starter?

Here is the alternator I ordered:

fc1hsz.jpg

Where will I need to hook up the 4 gauge wire at? I'm thinking it's where the black piece of plastic is, but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks, I ordered the alternator today. I'm going to be using 4 gauge wire to upgrade the big 3, would it be alright to use a 300A fuse for the atlernator to battery wire? The only reason I was planning on using a 300A was because in the future, I'm probably going to be redoing everything with 1/0 gauge so that'd just save me some time if I already have the correct size fuse. The battery cable that is already in place runs from the battery (+) to the starter and then from the starter to the alternator. Can I just run the new cable directly from the alternator to the battery or does it need to go to the starter?
Here is the alternator I ordered:

fc1hsz.jpg

Where will I need to hook up the 4 gauge wire at? I'm thinking it's where the black piece of plastic is, but I'm not completely sure.
Yes, you can go from the alternator straight to the + on the battery, and you are correct, the output post on the alternator is where that "BLACK" plastic housing is. Notice on the housing of the alt (where the black is) says "BAT".

DO NOT use a larger fuse than the wire can handle. That's just ASKING for a fire. 4awg should be fused at a MAX of 150A.

Don't do something stupid that could jepordize your safety.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.