will my stock alt hold up?

emd2260
10+ year member

NY
im going to be putting a 15" Fi Q and a RF T10001bd in my 01 taurus pretty soon, will my stock alt hold up to that? if not, would simply doing the big 3 help it out? i tried looking for the model or type this morning, but theres no tag on the alt itself..heres a pic though?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

CIMG0035.jpg

CIMG0032.jpg

and since were on the subject, i have this for a terminal connect, since ill haev a run of 4 awg for my amp and another run of it for the big 3...will i need a new connector? or just putthem all on that bolt? AND it goes into the fuse box, so what do i do there?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

CIMG0037.jpg

CIMG0031.jpg

go on ebay look at parts for your car then look up alt of corse an then they will list the amp on there then come back an tell us.. an also change the termanals for sure those are the worst kind they dont hold tight hope this helps. one an one more thing an alt is supposed to run at 80 % of its rated power, so u can get a d/c amp clamp from some one an play the system maxed out then put your lights heat an whipes on that will be probly the only time all of these factors will come in to play an if your 80% an under your fine then..im a macanic so i know.. an im running 2 12" with a 1700 watt amp an a 80 amp alt ,, well lets just say wen i turn everything one i get 120 amp draw which is real bad for the alt considering its a 80 an it puts out 120, so it will probly die soon.. hope it helps

Depends on the size of your alt. My stock electrical (117A alternator) was holding up fine to 1kw. I have massive voltage drops now (14.4v down to 11v) on long bass lines with 1750w.

the jeep comes with a stock 90amp altenator, i have the same jeep(97 model). the reserve output is 36 amps. i also have the same voltage drop problem so i'm doing the big 3 and upgrading the alternator, there is a 136 amp alt that is optional that will give me a 82 amp reserve capacity (you can save $$$ by going to the local junk-yard) the pn# for the 136 alternator is 56027913. the solution for voltage drop is the big 3 and a bigger alt, a 2nd battery is not, all it will do is strain your electrical system even more since the alt is now charging 2 batteries and running your sound system. oh, and if you would like know how much current draw youre amplifier(s) are consuming take the total RMS divide by the alt voltage (normally 13.8) then divide that number by 3 (3 reprositing the music signal)then you have approximently the real current draw the amp is using.

oh, sorry i forgot to mention go to autozone.com or napa,ect... and put your vehical make in & engine size, look up alternators and you will know what kind of alt you have. by the way napa has some really good heavy duty stuff(battery post clamps,ect..)

the jeep comes with a stock 90amp altenator, i have the same jeep(97 model). the reserve output is 36 amps. i also have the same voltage drop problem so i'm doing the big 3 and upgrading the alternator, there is a 136 amp alt that is optional that will give me a 82 amp reserve capacity (you can save $$$ by going to the local junk-yard) the pn# for the 136 alternator is 56027913. the solution for voltage drop is the big 3 and a bigger alt, a 2nd battery is not, all it will do is strain your electrical system even more since the alt is now charging 2 batteries and running your sound system. oh, and if you would like know how much current draw youre amplifier(s) are consuming take the total RMS divide by the alt voltage (normally 13.8) then divide that number by 3 (3 reprositing the music signal)then you have approximently the real current draw the amp is using.
I have two jeeps with the 117A alt, stock.

That calculation isn't accurate at all because according to you my sound system is only drawing 42 amps.

yes my calculations are correct, there are many varibles to consider, when i have the time i will write a explaination for the many varibles in car audio. and the 42 amps is your average draw, your max would be around 84amps, IF you have a 117 alternator then your reserve capacity is 46.8, long bass lines would bring your amp up closer to constant sine-wave and therefore the amp draw would be near 84amps,thats why you have voltage drops

about the taurus, your alternator is most probably a 110amp, for now do the big 3 and set the gains correctly and you'll be fine, but to get the most out of your amp you may need to upgrade the alternator in the future. RF power AMPS produce serious power, watch for voltage drop as it will smoke your amp

yes my calculations are correct, there are many varibles to consider, when i have the time i will write a explaination for the many varibles in car audio. and the 42 amps is your average draw, your max would be around 84amps, IF you have a 117 alternator then your reserve capacity is 46.8, long bass lines would bring your amp up closer to constant sine-wave and therefore the amp draw would be near 84amps
I hope you aren't talking about ultimate's system, and saying your "calculations" are correct. Correct me if I'm wrong, but...If he's running at 1 ohm, 1600 watts... with just the sub amp your saying he's only drawing 84 amps? That's a little out of line. If the amp was 100% efficient it would be drawing (1*1600)/14.4=111 amps.

I wish your "calculations" were actually the case, because then I wouldn't have to upgrade any of my electrical in my car before getting a new amp,sub,comps.

I know they are. What are you saying?

A second battery does help a ton with voltage drops, because music is dynamic. A second battery won't help a lot if someone listens to a lot of rap with long bass lines. But with what i mostly listen to with kick drums, they help greatly with dimming and voltage because the second battery increases transient time.

that amp( Lanzar Opti 2000D) is not pushing anywhere near 1600watts@1ohm, (not a lanzar)as you stated,

(If the amp was 100% efficient it would be drawing (1*1600)/14.4=111 amps.) well amps are not that efficient and that figure would be a stable 14.4 with a perfect sine wave, that is not a musical signal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.