Will my Amp be able power my Sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

graygray

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, I'm very new to this car audio thing but I had my eye on this sub woofer for a while now but I'm not quite sure if my chosen amp will be able to power my sub to its full potential or be able to power it at all. I haven't bought anything so I'm open for suggestions. The sub I had is mind is:
JBL Stadium 12″ 500rms DVC Subwoofer , which is supposed to be switchable between 4 and 2 impedance.
The amp I think maybe would work is:
Targa TG-SV8000.1 8000W Monoblock Amplifier, which is rated at 400W RMS @ 2-Ohms
Please and Thank you :)

I don't know hardly anything about Targa, but if their RMS value is valid then it will work. Still if you haven't bought the amp you may want to go larger. Ideally it should be matched or slightly more powerful than the subwoofer's RMS value.

If you're from south africa this group won't be able to help you pick parts much beyond whatever the manufacturers say since your import rules are so strict. JBL I trust the manufacturer claims on, Targa I have no idea.

Hi, I'm very new to this car audio thing but I had my eye on this sub woofer for a while now but I'm not quite sure if my chosen amp will be able to power my sub to its full potential or be able to power it at all. I haven't bought anything so I'm open for suggestions. The sub I had is mind is:
JBL Stadium 12″ 500rms DVC Subwoofer , which is supposed to be switchable between 4 and 2 impedance.
The amp I think maybe would work is:
Targa TG-SV8000.1 8000W Monoblock Amplifier, which is rated at 400W RMS @ 2-Ohms
Please and Thank you :)
Please double check that sub. DVC is not going to be able to do 2 or 4 ohm. The final impedance you'll need to drive is either half or double what the coils are. SO dual 2 ohm would wire to either 1 or 4, dual 4 ohm would wire to 2 or 8.

I've never seen nor heard of the amp you mentioned, but Harmon International (JBL/Crown/Infinity) products are always reliable and will perform as advertised. If you can get JBL sub there I'd see if you can't get one of their amps.

Please double check that sub. DVC is not going to be able to do 2 or 4 ohm. The final impedance you'll need to drive is either half or double what the coils are. SO dual 2 ohm would wire to either 1 or 4, dual 4 ohm would wire to 2 or 8.

I've never seen nor heard of the amp you mentioned, but Harmon International (JBL/Crown/Infinity) products are always reliable and will perform as advertised. If you can get JBL sub there I'd see if you can't get one of their amps.
If I look for subs I struggle to see if the sub is SVC or DVC. That title was just advertised as DVC at an online shop but I went to the JBL web page to find the next information but still are unable to tell if it is DVC or SVC or I may be just missing something
Capture.PNG

Can be 2ohm or 4ohm you choose by the selectable switch. Only one positive and negative connection. Looks like it has dual coils that go to the switch? Not sure.

I don't know hardly anything about Targa, but if their RMS value is valid then it will work. Still if you haven't bought the amp you may want to go larger. Ideally it should be matched or slightly more powerful than the subwoofer's RMS value.

If you're from south africa this group won't be able to help you pick parts much beyond whatever the manufacturers say since your import rules are so strict. JBL I trust the manufacturer claims on, Targa I have no idea.
Yeah it is quite an unknown manufacturer to myself as well but it seems to have positive reviews. If my power of my amp is less than the power of the sub will it just under perform or is there a possibility of it causing damage?

Yeah it is quite an unknown manufacturer to myself as well but it seems to have positive reviews. If my power of my amp is less than the power of the sub will it just under perform or is there a possibility of it causing damage?
If you set the amp up correctly it will just be underpowered. If you set it up incorrectly it will clip and that could damage both the amp and the subwoofers. Ohms law gets you close so it's pretty easy but you'll need a multimeter for that.

The thing about positive reviews on audio equipment is that they're often dead wrong by people who don't know much. In America we can look to crutchfield reviews to at least get some hobbyist-level reviews but even those are often by people who are first time installers and don't have expectations higher than stock systems. If you can find any dyno videos on youtube they're much more helpful for how good the amp is. Alternatively you may just go to an audio shop and chat with the employees there. They'll probably get a commission on what they sell but I doubt they'll lie to you about what meets their own company specifications.

For example is an amplifier that can't even meet its RMS ratings and yet has 4.5 stars and is the #1 best selling car amp on amazon.

If I look for subs I struggle to see if the sub is SVC or DVC.
You're right, it must be dual (or quad) coil to have multiple impedance options. If your choices are 2 or 4 they must only be using half the coil in one of them..

Either way, it's safe to say that you can indeed select between 2 or 4 ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.