Will I draw too much power?

BoNkA
10+ year member

PA
Alright, I'm looking at getting either a 15" Brahma or XXX and powering it with maybe an ed nine.1 or a PG 1200.1 (possibly the xenon). I have a 98 Eclipse and am not sure if I would need to replace my alternator or anything to pull that power. I'm going to put a Gel Cell battery in that I pulled from my old car, but I don't have any specs on it or anything (if there even are battery specs!). Basically I know nothing about all this and need a little help so I can figure out exactly what I'm going to need. Thanks.

well if this helps my friend has a 97 eclipse gs-t and recently installed a mtx 8100d which does around 1500 watts to power three 8000's. well he has no component amps or anything else and the electrical system was strained big time. he was having really bad dimming and after a few days his alternator crapped out! i would go with something that draws less power than what you mentioned.

Well I have nothing ordered yet and wanted to see what I was getting into before I did. So I might need a new alternator? Don't even know how much they run.

Someone on an Eclipse forum told me I only need to get a better battery and that the alternator has absolutely nothing to do with it? I'm not so sure about that. Is he right or wrong?

Honestly I would try it out and upgrade the big three. That gel bat will help alot. I had one running my plow and my lights really didnt dim. But if that is the situation. Also make sure your running the right power wire as well. Dont be running no 8 or 10 gauge. If this doesnt fix it then I would look into a upgraded alt, or add another bat is also a pos. But I am having concerns about the box size for you to go with a 15 and port it. Will you have enough room to do a good size box like that, I would also look into 1 12' as well. No point going with a tiny box to show you have a 15 if its not goining to sound right. I have not seen a eclipse in some time, but I remember a friend was having trouble with his box size for a 15 in it. Just double check that before you spend that kind of money.

Yeah, I was just wondering about that yesterday, as far as the size goes. The 12" ones still take the same amount of power correct?

it really depends on your trunk. you might be able to fit a ported 15 in there. im going to put a ported 15 in my 02 accord... i posted pics of my trunk in the sub section.

I'm not trying to jack this thread, but around what total wattage will allow you to keep your average electrical system stock? Would a JBL BP600.1 and a 120.2 amp kill an average alternator? I guess by average I mean in a 90s VW.

alot depends on some amps out there. I am running a orion 600d right now wit no problem, but when i get into the other amps like the kicker zr's that crushes my system. Look for the class d amps they put less strain on your elec.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.