Will adding 2nd battery allow me to run more powerful mono amplifier

airman

I have a Alpine PDX F9 4ch amp. 600watts rms running 2 Hertz HSK 165XL and 2 HCX 165 6.5 Speakers and a PDX M6 mono amp, 600watts rms powering 2 JL Audio 10W6v3-D4 subwoofers for a total of 1200 watts rms. I want to upgrade my mono amp to a JL Audio HD1200/1 mono amp which is 1200 watts rms which would be a perfect match for my subwoofers. I have a Toyota RAV4 V6 with a 150 amp alternator and a Optima yellowtop battery under the hood, in the fuse box in the engine compartment, the alternator is fused with an 140 amp fuse.

I don't think that 150 amps is enough run 1800 watts rms total power however I don't have the money right now to upgrade to a H/O alternator so I was thinking of installing a second battery fused near where my amps are, perhaps just enough battery for a 1200 watts mono amp like the HD1200/1 to replace the capacitor that I have there now. would that work or not? I plan to use 1/0 gauge OFC battery cable.

I'm mot sure about doing a big 3 because the nearby Toyota dealership I called to ask for info on whether a big 3 upgrade would work told me that it might damage the vehicle electronics so I'm not so sure about doing it now however, could I get away cheaper with a 2nd battery to power a more powerful mono amplifier? You prompt replies will be appreciated.

I have a Alpine PDX F9 4ch amp. 600watts rms running 2 Hertz HSK 165XL and 2 HCX 165 6.5 Speakers and a PDX M6 mono amp, 600watts rms powering 2 JL Audio 10W6v3-D4 subwoofers for a total of 1200 watts rms. I want to upgrade my mono amp to a JL Audio HD1200/1 mono amp which is 1200 watts rms which would be a perfect match for my subwoofers. I have a Toyota RAV4 V6 with a 150 amp alternator and a Optima yellowtop battery under the hood, in the fuse box in the engine compartment, the alternator is fused with an 140 amp fuse.
I don't think that 150 amps is enough run 1800 watts rms total power however I don't have the money right now to upgrade to a H/O alternator so I was thinking of installing a second battery fused near where my amps are, perhaps just enough battery for a 1200 watts mono amp like the HD1200/1 to replace the capacitor that I have there now. would that work or not? I plan to use 1/0 gauge OFC battery cable.

I'm mot sure about doing a big 3 because the nearby Toyota dealership I called to ask for info on whether a big 3 upgrade would work told me that it might damage the vehicle electronics so I'm not so sure about doing it now however, could I get away cheaper with a 2nd battery to power a more powerful mono amplifier? You prompt replies will be appreciated.
Why would you call a dealer? They obviously don't know shyte. Just fuse the + to the alt and you'll be good. Running a second batt to the back isn't going to do much if you don't beef up your electrical the right way. How'd those sealed boxes work out for you?

I think you'd be fine running that with the big three. An AGM wouldn't hurt.

How the hell would the big three hurt your vehicle's electronics? Did they give any reason?

I think you'd be fine running that with the big three. An AGM wouldn't hurt.
How the hell would the big three hurt your vehicle's electronics? Did they give any reason?
Probably had to explain to them wtf it is lol......

The service dept at the local Toyota dealership said the increased current might damage the vehicle electronics. I confess that I,m not a mechanic so I'm just going on what they told me. What's your opinion? Would it be safe to do a big 3 upgrade on a 2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport and not do any damage to the ECM and other electronics?

You're pulling extra amperage with an amped stereo system. Not upgrading wires would be more likely to damage factory electronics. I'm assuming your ECU can be damaged from low voltage caused by voltage drop, due to insufficient wire.

The service dept at the local Toyota dealership said the increased current might damage the vehicle electronics. I confess that I,m not a mechanic so I'm just going on what they told me. What's your opinion? Would it be safe to do a big 3 upgrade on a 2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport and not do any damage to the ECM and other electronics?
You're safe adding the extra wire. You're not safe if you don't and add more power. Real simple.

In that case adding your system period will damage the vehicle because your pulling added amperage which wasnt accounted for when they were building thevehicle and its electronics system and charging system. So if you wont do big 3, dont do system either because its the same thing.

A second battery is not necessary for your concerns. It will give you more power storage not more power. usually a second battery puts more demand on your alternator not less. Better to have 1 great battery than 2 ...

Going to better, bigger wire is NEVER bad. But making sure your grounds have optimal contact is just as important, maybe even more important.

Many folks run more Amps than what you want to with one battery and smaller alternators. I have 3 amps with 3000 watts of ability with a 130 amp alternator. But if you're a bass head, you're better off to pass on the second battery and save up for a HO Alternator.

To give you an idea I ran 300 watts to my door speakers annd 1200 to my subs on a stock 100 amp alternator (with Big 3) and a lead acid group 27 battery. Never had any issues. 150 Amps is pretty decent power. Take the advice everyone has already given you.

Car dealerships are pretty much stupid. I called once asking where/if they could modify my ECU a bit for me and they told me that they couldn't because it would void the warranty... Its a 15 year old 247,000 mile vehicle...

Big 3 upgrade won't harm your car. I noticed I got almost .5 volts of drop anytime I turned on my headlights, but after the Big 3 you couldn't even tell unless you had a nice voltmeter hooked up. You can't tell me that hurt my electrical.

Just be careful because if it is anything like my mom's Rav4 (It might be a 2010 actually) it is kind of a pain to work on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.