Why so much hate for Alpine deck's with Navi?

phish368
10+ year member

It seems that there is a lot of 'hate' or 'disliking' of the Alpine HU's with Navigation.. Is this really true? If so, why? I know that the Alpine Navi is not made by Garmin or Parrot but is it really that bad?

Just looking for some healthy discussion and knowledge about it as I have the W505 and i'm really tempted to buy the NVE-P1

Don't know and don't care. I just got a iva-w505 and will be getting the Navi P1 unit. I don't need Navi that bad like everyone else. I've been all over the US without Navi and don't recall getting lost to the point where I said to myself "****, I need to get a Navi unit". I've rode in other people cars that had Navi, and we still never used it. I don't care how it compares to other units. I've researched it and it can't be that bad, at least for me. Some even freak out and bash a unit if it doesn't have 3D mapping. I guess those people have a bad sense of direction? I'm hoping to use mine for ATM's, Restaurants, and residental areas with alot of turns.

I see all these people riding around with navi, but the same highways are still always jammed up. Who's using their navi to reroute? Garmin is the Sh!t, but the Kenwood ipod wise didn't meet my needs fully. Bottom line is that I had to have that Alpine sound first, and whatever navi went with it. I refuse to mount a portable navi on top of the dash. That's not Playa! I prefer the all-in-one units.

Don't know and don't care. I just got a iva-w505 and will be getting the Navi P1 unit. I don't need Navi that bad like everyone else. I've been all over the US without Navi and don't recall getting lost to the point where I said to myself "****, I need to get a Navi unit". I've rode in other people cars that had Navi, and we still never used it. I don't care how it compares to other units. I've researched it and it can't be that bad, at least for me. Some even freak out and bash a unit if it doesn't have 3D mapping. I guess those people have a bad sense of direction? I'm hoping to use mine for ATM's, Restaurants, and residental areas with alot of turns.
I see all these people riding around with navi, but the same highways are still always jammed up. Who's using their navi to reroute? Garmin is the Sh!t, but the Kenwood ipod wise didn't meet my needs fully. Bottom line is that I had to have that Alpine sound first, and whatever navi went with it. I refuse to mount a portable navi on top of the dash. That's not Playa! I prefer the all-in-one units.

Well said! I am getting the Alpine NVE-M300 for my W-205 as soon as my shop gets it in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

People hate alpine because its expensive.... PERIOD.
I don't think Alpine is that much more expensive than others. I consider JL to be expensive for the amount of sub or amp you get. Alpine is worth the price. Alpine knows car audio head units, that's why they don't cram all the features in one box. Imo, Eclipse is Alpines only competition as far as mass marketed units go. I've ran almost every brand of head unit, and have not seen Alpine quality for a cheaper price. Less features make the uninformed hate Alpine. If you set a fully loaded Kenwood or Pioneer flat, it would never sound as good as the Eclipse when set flat. I had a JVC and Panasonic with way more features on paper, but they sounded bad compared to my so called stripped down Alpine. I wish Rockford still made head units because they were one of the best you could get.

I agree with you all 100% completely as i've been an Alpine fan since back in the day (all my decks have been Alpine). Although I am still curious to know what the hate is toward their Navi units and why?

I have the W505 w/ Nav...I love it. The Nav felt a little awkward to me after using the OEM Nav in a Land Rover, but I'm used to it now. I've had only one case where the thing needed to be reset because it locked up. I need to find out if there have been any updates...if not, then that is the one area where Alpine needs to get their **** together, because you HAVE to update this stuff...and I'm thinking as much for the Bluetooth capability as for the actual Nav functions. As for it being expensive...I shopped around and found good deals for the various pieces, but I don't think I paid any more for everything than the Kenwood or Pioneer "equivalent" solutions.

jds

I have an Alpine CDA-9887...was looking into the nav units but really didn't want to deal with it right now...I have a Garmin hardwired and that is fine for GPS.

I have also only ever owned Alpine HU's. I'm not 100% keen on their amps, but the PDA's are the only make/model I could find that will fit in my truck. Their HU's rock however, navi or not. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

I agree with you all 100% completely as i've been an Alpine fan since back in the day (all my decks have been Alpine). Although I am still curious to know what the hate is toward their Navi units and why?
They were saying the Blackbird units were too slow calculating routes compared to the competition, but the newer NVE-P1 has addressed most issues and is faster.

I just went from a cda-9887 with H701 to the W505 with H701... I love it. Its so much easier to control with the W505. I dont even need to use the RUX-C701 controller (thank god!)... Only thing people might miss is that without the controller you dont get the spectrum analyzer but who the hell cares!

i can't wait to pick up the p1!

Out of curiosity, anyone have any good hook ups for buying the p1?

I have played with the 505/701 combo in my boss's Jeep. I've also played with the Kenwood. The Kenwood is so much more user friendly. I also like the fact that everything is built in on the Kenwood. Lastly, I value volume knobs and buttons that have adjustable lighting to match my dash. The Alpine doesn't have either and everything is a separate add on. I'm going to go with a bit one, so I sold my 701 before I even used it. It would be nice to control the processor through the HU, but the Audison controller is fine enough. Plus, after initial setup there really isn't much to have to adjust. And this is coming from someone who is a diehard Alpine HU fan. They have just gotten lost in the wind compared to the competition IMO. SQ on the HU itself doesn't matter to me, as the bit one will take care of that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.