Why people hate 4th orders?

Lschevelle
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
LA.
s there a legitimate reason why a lot of people don't care for 4th orders? I mean if you have the space it should should be best way to go. I never heard one in person but I've been seeing impressive numbers

personal preference and inexperience

When done right 4th orders are amazing but getting them right is not easy. I think that's where most people get turned away.

most (if not all) of the really loud systems i've had the chance to hear have had 4th orders.

The main reason you don't see more people doing them is the complexity of the design compared to a standard ported or sealed box.

You want a ratio of around 2:1 (ported section being twice as large as the sealed section).

As said before, if done right, the output really can't be beat. If you are going for a narrow bandwidth such as SPL, bass music, etc...it could work out well for a lot of people.

A quick 4th order design in WinISD will show you how much more output the same woofer and power will have compared to ported. Play with the ratios of the chamber sizes to see how much output you can get when narrowing the band (tuning). Some speakers respond better than others in a 4th order, but generally not as picky as ported compared to sealed.

The main problem is that by the time you have a reasonably wide bandwidth playing flat you have basically a worse sounding sealed box. If you are looking for big gains in a very narrow bandwidth they can be useful.

The main problem is that by the time you have a reasonably wide bandwidth playing flat you have basically a worse sounding sealed box. If you are looking for big gains in a very narrow bandwidth they can be useful.
So they aren't really great for hitting a wide range of frequencies?

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

I was deciding on one for my two zv4 15's but if someone can persuade me to do a regular ported instead I wouldn't mind

So they aren't really great for hitting a wide range of frequencies? 

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

I was deciding on one for my two zv4 15's but if someone can persuade me to do a regular ported instead I wouldn't mind
Find out the truth, model them in WINISD and see either they are peaky or not and possible spl gains vs ported.

I thought 3:1 ratio was pretty good but I saw on another thread saying that less power more ratio you should use and vise versa...so in the case of 4th orders..it's more dependant on the equipment?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.