Why multiple ohm?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey people, I have questions regarding ohm. I'm new to car audio and I'm not fully understanding this.

Okay, I think I understand how amps work. Basically splits it's power signal when it's set for more ohm. For example

600 @4ohm

1200 @2ohm

1800 @1ohm

The fewer ohm, the more concentrated watts. And the woofers ohm, divide by 2. If you have 4ohm, wire parallel (whatever the hell that means) and run 2ohm from the amp.

My question is, why do you need 4 or 2? Why are woofer with fewer ohm more expensive? Why not make all woofers 2ohm and amps to match?

Is this question is dim-witted I'm sorry I'm new to this and I'm partially retarded, or at least self proclaimed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Hey people, I have questions regarding ohm. I'm new to car audio and I'm not fully understanding this.
Okay, I think I understand how amps work. Basically splits it's power signal when it's set for more ohm. For example

600 @4ohm

1200 @2ohm

1800 @1ohm

The fewer ohm, the more concentrated watts. And the woofers ohm, divide by 2. If you have 4ohm, wire parallel (whatever the hell that means) and run 2ohm from the amp.

My question is, why do you need 4 or 2? Why are woofer with fewer ohm more expensive? Why not make all woofers 2ohm and amps to match?

Is this question is dim-witted I'm sorry I'm new to this and I'm partially retarded, or at least self proclaimed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif
Ohms is a measure of resistance. Imagine an amplifier has a given driving force. Doubling the resistance on that force (going from 2 ohms to 4 ohms for example) will halve the overall work created. That's ohms, in a nutshell.

Not all amplifiers are designed the same. For example, class a/b amplifiers tend to max their output at 2ohms (mono). Whereas class D's tend to have maximum output at a lower resistance. Also factor in that some people will want to run one subwoofer, some a pair, some 3 or 4 etc... Having multiple impedance options gives the buyer more flexibility in matching up speaker combinations and specific amplifiers. This is at the heart of why we see so many multi-voice coil subwoofers on the market these days.

Then there's box rise. Oh.....that's on the flipside of the coin. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

actually not a bad q they could make all subs 1 ohm amp do 1ohm be done.. 1 reason y not is u may wanta run 1-2,3or 4subs off 1 amp so someone may want to wire the d4 subs at 8ohm each x4 subs would be 2ohm in which case your idea would work if amps were all 2ohm lol..

actually not a bad q they could make all subs 1 ohm amp do 1ohm be done.. 1 reason y not is u may wanta run 1-2,3or 4subs off 1 amp so someone may want to wire the d4 subs at 8ohm each x4 subs would be 2ohm in which case your idea would work if amps were all 2ohm lol..
Yeah I thought of that, but wouldn't amps that do multiple ohm be more expensive and less common? Then woofers designed to be run in a group of 4 be more expensive or special order/not on shelf?

Sh*t seems backwards. Or maybe I drank too much of this pale ale. Lol

Or overthinking. Look at it this way: Why would one company or all produce one set of dvc 2 ohm subs and amps only? Not everyone would go for that if they were doing a small or even big build. Gives us, the buyers, more flexibility more options avail when it comes to amps/subs. Long time ago, some amps were only 4 ohm mono stable. Look at it now.....most people run amps that are 1 ohm stable. Or even 1/2 ohm.

DVC ohm

I understand dual voice coil gives you more wiring options. When SVC doesn't work. Can you guys give me an example with an amp where that extra voice coil is necessary.

DVC ohm
I understand dual voice coil gives you more wiring options. When SVC doesn't work. Can you guys give me an example with an amp where that extra voice coil is necessary.
Imagine a single sub, dual 2ohm coils. You can run it at 4ohms mono to maximize a class a/b amplifier, or 1 ohm mono to maximize many class d amplifiers. Dual voice coils are not 'necessary' if an SVC model sub will work for your application. Again, multiple voice coils in a speaker simply gives the buyer more flexibility in amplifier choices and speaker combinations. So necessity is not the issue, convenience is. I remember the days before multi-voice coil subs, and the options/combinations were much more limited in terms of which amps you saw driving which subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.