why does my sound ****?

I own a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo and recently just replaced the stock speakers with some Infinity 5 1/4" in the front. The thing is the stock speaker was attatched through a clip, but I removed the clip to wire it manually to the Infinity's. I've read many reviews about the speakers I purchased and everyone seems to be satisfied witht he sound. I am wondering why my stock speakers sound better and produce much better bass (even though it still isn't that great). THe wires are naked so I just wrapped it around the positive and negative thingy on the inifinity speaker. Is there something i am supposed to do? Someone please help me!!

If you still have your stock head unit, that could be the problem. You probably don't have enough power going to the infinitys. Stock speakers are usually built to deal with lower power levels.

You should either solder the wires or crimp on female slide terminals. Wrapping the wires around the terminals will result in poor performance.

Your speakers were designed for midrange, vocals, ect. I think infinity uses a high pass filter in their crossovers to prevent damage. Consider a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer for low frequencies.

Often times good sound is confused with a lack of bass. Your original speakers didn't have a tweeter of any kind. Therefore when you add the Infinity's that do have that little tweeter you are hearing more of the high frequencies (treble). Your brain tells you that "Hey there's no bass there, these speakers ****." Granted they may not be getting enough power, but because you're hearing the high frequencies you didn't hear before it gives the illusion that there is a lot less bass. Best cure for good sound add an amp and sub like Indosia recommends. It would really help to add a small amp to your new front speakers also.

And yes, you should never, ever, ever just wrap the wires around the terminal........................big no no:nono:

haha i knew it didn't look right when i wrapped the wires around the speaker...so the lack of bass is normal? i just thought that usually an aftermarket speaker could provide better low's than the stock speakers could...can someone tell me exactly how i can wire them correctly aside from soldering them because i wouldn't no how to do that at all...could it just be the speakers because i can hear the music fine but the bass just isn't deep at all compared to the crappy stock speakers...thank you very much for your help!!

you need to find some female crimp terminals to go on the end of the wire.. strip the wire at the end about 1/4 of an inch... then crimp on the female crimps.. push the crimps onto the speaker leds where it has positive and negative.. make sure you have it the right way.. if the crimps dont fit tight get some pliers or something and clamp them down on the speaker leds.. that should secure them good enough..

next thing.. you wont get deep bass from midrange/highrange speakers.. you will get midbass at the most.. your stock speakers probably had more of a fullrange output... (this however is the reason they will distort easily given a low bass note) Getting an amp will help get midbass back if that is lacking. It also may help the sound altogether..btw midbass is those frequencies above the deep bass notes that you still can feel, like drums and stuff...

what you really need to do however is get a subwoofer or two.. This will DRAMATICALLY increase the low end on your system. And since lowrange frequencies (bass) is non directional, you can put it in the trunk or whatever extra space you have in your car... There are lots of different places to put them depending on what kind of vehicle you have.

if you are really stuck on getting bass out of your stock factory units the only possibility is to get a nice powerfull component set.. You still wont get that much bass unless you have a really good enclosure like a custome kick panel or something for your vehicle.. otherwise you'd have to customise something in your door panel... OR you could dynamat your whole door panel and that may help..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.