why does my bass hit softer sometimes?

Farris2k1
10+ year member

so i just got a new kennwood 800 watt amp installed to go along with my jl 12w0's and i noticed that sometimes instead of the bass pounding like it normally does it starts getting softer, then after a few minutes it will go back to normal..it's not too bad but it's really noticable..could someone tell me what might be wrong?

The first car I ever had was a plymouth neon and I can remember my old W3 doing the same thing. It would start loud and then gradually go down, and then sometimes out of nowhere and would jump back up. Ya my advice to you is to either by a new alternator, or get a high quality battery like a yello or red top optima. Either one will certainly help you. Stay away from the caps though cause your alt wont be able to handle that either. Ya I would say theres nothing wrong with those subs cause those are high quality.

alright now im leaning more towards a loose connection because whenever the bass gets softer, i'll hit a bump on the road somewhere and it'll pound again but then it goes down after a while, but i'll hit a bump and it'll start up again...also my lights aren't dimming at all so maybe it's not the alternator?

Actually though. I agree that its prob a voltage issue. If possible, have your amp hooked to a multimeter while your driving, and have a friend check the voltage readings for you during the "lower" bass. Your prob gonna have noticable dips, even if its not effecting your lights.

i DONT vote for voltage...voltage doesnt make sense, what voltage wise would make the amp put out less power for X amount of time.

If it shut off after a big passage, sure... but not just lower the volume.

If the sub is DVC...one of the wires to one of the coils may be loose.

It could also be something wrong internally with the amp, although this isn't the most likely situation.

Isolate the problem as well as you can, that normally leads to the solution.

Good luck!

so i just got a new kennwood 800 watt amp installed to go along with my jl 12w0's and i noticed that sometimes instead of the bass pounding like it normally does it starts getting softer, then after a few minutes it will go back to normal..it's not too bad but it's really noticable..could someone tell me what might be wrong?
youre putting 800 watts to the W0s?!?! how many subs do you have? just two? thats way overpowering them isnt it?

a little food for thought...

what size power wire are you running to the amp? what is the length of the power wire? Amps now days have good power handling, but they need a good feed of power.

I had a friend who put in his own amp. He ran a 18gauge wire off the stereo power lead to the amp. His amp was so hot you could not touch it...not to mention the sound was crap. He didn't know any better.

We rewired the entire system. The amp ran much cooler and the sound quality was there.

You could also look at using a cap to help keep available power on reserve. The cap helps feed the amp when you have big current draws (big bass hitting notes)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.