Does this box plan check out?

Participant count
  • Participant list

planet audio
10+ year member

Making a box for 2 PA Gothic Subs. Does this box check out for the specs? The port area seems small to me. But I admittedly don't know anything about designing boxes. Thanks! Screenshot_20230905_202114_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230906_151324_Drive.jpg

I would suggest downloading winisd or some other free program where you can enter sub t/s parameters and check port air speed. That port area is small. I wouldn’t run that before you check out risk of port noise. It looks fine other than that. And your subs have some displacement they take up, so you might be more at like 4.6 cubes or something, if it’s not already accounted for, which effectively makes your port area larger and will raise tuning some.

Last edited:
That opening is 45.96 square inches, actually pretty substantial. That said, I ran some numbers and that port length is tuned to right around 30Hz.

You should consider dropping the size down to 4.5 Cubic feet as according to the manufacturer, 2.25 per driver is optimum.

A 4.5 cubic foot box with a 2”x11”x10.75” (22 square inch area mouth no matter how you square or rectangle it) and 10.75” length will get you to 30Hz.

With a 45.96 square inch (3.17” x 14.50”) mouth, the length would need to be roughly 25.5” long.

These are decent budget subs. The box design isn’t bad at 5 cubes for these, but I’d drop it down just a little and raise port tuning up to 32. 4.5 cubes tuned to 32 HZ with 60 SQ. Inches of port was the last box I did for these, and they sounded nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...