why does my amp shut off? kicker cxa 1800.1

Participant count
  • Participant list

cybertron131

Florida
Yeah so I have 2 subwoofers they are both 4 ohms, The bass can slam moderately hard but if I try to turn it up a little higher the amp shits itself and turns into protect.

I think it might be the subwoofers being partially blown, or the fuse. If I get 2 new subwoofers should they both be 2 ohms or 4 ohms to bring the most power out of the amp?

I'm also a bit confused on ohms

Also I should note that the RCA jacks to the amp are coming from a converter thingymajig (line out converter) that takes the raw power form my horrible rear 6x9s I think that might have something to do with it

2013 corolla S

Yeah so I have 2 subwoofers they are both 4 ohms, The bass can slam moderately hard but if I try to turn it up a little higher the amp shits itself and turns into protect.I think it might be the subwoofers being partially blown, or the fuse. If I get 2 new subwoofers should they both be 2 ohms or 4 ohms to bring the most power out of the amp?

I'm also a bit confused on ohms

Also I should note that the RCA jacks to the amp are coming from a converter thingymajig (line out converter) that takes the raw power form my horrible rear 6x9s I think that might have something to do with it

2013 corolla S
what i saw says amp is only 2 ohm stable, u saying subs are 4ohms each, my guess is they are dual 4 ohm wired 2 ohm each = a 1 ohm load amp won't do that.. thats y amp is protecting itself find out if subs are dual 4 ohm if so u either need 2 d2 ohm subs wired to 4 ohms each or wire yours to 8ohm each = a 4 ohm load u only get 1/2 amps power but it won't cut off.. if the subs are single 4 ohm subs then u probably have gain set to high (never set it past 1/2 way) or hu volume to high either will send clipped signal never set hu volume more than about 80% (so if it goes to 35 don't go past 28) also make sure amp grounding point has no paint under it and it wire won't move make sure it's tight..

Before making assumptions, BOOMINGRANDPA, let's get some real info 1st as OP didn't say which subs he has, DVC or SVC.(Dual Voice Coil/Single Voice Coil)

Now, there are several reasons why amps go into protect, that new people to the car audio world don't know why and have come to the right place seeking help/advice. The number one problem in this situation is wiring/connections. The 2nd will be ground....from amp to a good grounding point, vehicle chassis is best. Paint sanded to bare metal with a solid connection. Nice and tight. Now, back to wiring/connections. Make sure your subs are wired correctly to a final ohm load to the amp....thus if it's wrong, or a lower ohm load than the amp can handle it will go into protect. Amp does it's most power into 2 ohms, which is 1800 watts. That's the final ohm load you wanna give it.

Inadequete power/ground wire. Amp calls for 1/0 recommended gauge wiring....don't use anything less. And a 150 amp fuse is recommended....if you don't got one already.

Gain setting is too high....and when system is cranked full tilt, will shut itself off or go into protect. Have it set with a DMM with the help by someone or youtube has some very useful vids on step by step on how to properly set the gain.

They are both singe voice coil woofers. And yeah the ground wire came with a car audio installation kit and that thing is thick enough to hold an ape from a helicopter

It's grounded through a nice fat screw through the car's chassis in the trunk. The screw goes through the paint so I don't think I need to strip the paint

Also the speakers are both wired in bridged, which means I have 1 positive coming out of 1 set and 1 negative coming out of the other set. that goes to one of the subwoofers then there are another 2 (+-) wires from that subwoofer to the 2nd one.

So it's like, leeching power from the other woofer but I don't think it's a prob

So if I have 2 4 ohm subs does that mean the amp has a 2 ohm load or a 8 ohm load?

They are both singe voice coil woofers. And yeah the ground wire came with a car audio installation kit and that thing is thick enough to hold an ape from a helicopterIt's grounded through a nice fat screw through the car's chassis in the trunk. The screw goes through the paint so I don't think I need to strip the paint

Also the speakers are both wired in bridged, which means I have 1 positive coming out of 1 set and 1 negative coming out of the other set. that goes to one of the subwoofers then there are another 2 (+-) wires from that subwoofer to the 2nd one.

So it's like, leeching power from the other woofer but I don't think it's a prob

So if I have 2 4 ohm subs does that mean the amp has a 2 ohm load or a 8 ohm load?
yeah thats 2 ohm should be good but u do need to sand paint from grounding point.. other stuff i said about lower gain and hu volume also make sure u have no bass boost turned on amp or hu

They are both singe voice coil woofers. And yeah the ground wire came with a car audio installation kit and that thing is thick enough to hold an ape from a helicopterIt's grounded through a nice fat screw through the car's chassis in the trunk. The screw goes through the paint so I don't think I need to strip the paint

Oh yes you do need to sand down the paint....no paint should be exposed in a grounding point area. That could very well be why your amp goes into protect. Go back and sand it down asap.

As for wiring your subs, I go by this chart... JL Audio » header » Support » Tutorials » Tutorial: Wiring Single Voice Coil (SVC) Subwoofer Drivers

2 4 ohm subs should be 2 ohm final impedance to the amp.

In conclusion: Once the paint is removed and ground regrounded and check sub wiring if it's good then cool. If not, follow chart I provided, things should be good for ya.

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

Btw...which part in FL are you in? That state is my favorite vacation destination.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.