why does my amp keep blowing 60 amp fuses?

BUMPN2

GA
hey guys. I recently bought an old school orion hcca 225 digital reference amp and wired it mono to 2 4 ohm dvc subs in parallel. and that should be running that amp at 2 ohms. anyway, when the bass hits hard a few times, it blows my 60 amp fuses at the distribution block. any ideas why this would be happening? thanks for any help guys, David

It is physically impossible to wire 2 4ohm DVC subs to 2ohm.

This is one problem right there.

Do you not have a DMM to troubleshoot things yourself?

I just looked at it in case they made a typo..

Nope, that doesn't say you can either because it wouldn't follow Ohm's law.

evidently you haven't installed many stereo systems or read to much about this type of wiring. 2 4 ohm dvc subs in parallel =2 ohm and 8 ohms in series.

You are going to accuse me of not enough experience? that's cute, lol.

Let me spoon feed it to you as apparently you want to debate me rather than learn.

2, that's 1 more than 1.

Using your own words here. TWO

Dual 4ohm subs= 4ohm DVC subs.

Using your own words here. 4ohm DVC

2 4ohm DVC subs in parallel is.. 1ohm. not 2. 1 ohm.

Series/Parallel- 4ohm

Parallel- 1ohm

Series- 16ohm

When you are ready to stop arguing and start learning let me know.

You also failed to answer my question about a DMM.

One dual 4 ohm subwoofer wiered in parallel will give you two ohms impedance, two dual 4 ohm subwoofers wired parallel will have 2 ohm for each subwoofer, but there are two subwoofers so you have to split the impedance in half therefore you will end up with 1 ohm. Only way you can get a two ohm load is if you only use one voice coil each and not connect the other one, however this decreases power handling by half and is not really recommended

evidently you haven't installed many stereo systems or read to much about this type of wiring. 2 4 ohm dvc subs in parallel =2 ohm and 8 ohms in series.
This guy has dealt with 40k watts and up systems before. Please dont belittle others when you yourself are asking for help on an extremely rudimentary subject.

it should be 1ohm stable but failing to understand certain things will require a DMM..

Since one has not been mentioned, it will be very hard to help troubleshoot as there are extra variables to consider now.

I'm saying now, you really need a DMM as i'd be asking for certain readings throughout the vehicle.

Without it, i'd literally have to guess and speculate on everything and do not like to do that.

well. i'm running 1 gauge positive wire from the battery to a distribution block with a 60 amp fuse. that's the only amp on the block. I have a kicker kx-3 crossover running to the amp. ground wire is grounded to the chassis and is also in a distribution block-no fuses. that's about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.