Why does it sound like this?

justinmperry

sorry if this is the wrong section, but I just bought a brand new kicker compvr 12" 4 ohm dvc, and put it in my pre-fabbed ported box. I had Electronic Express wire the amp for me, but i wired the sub @ 4 ohms (i have a multimeter to check)

it hits ok, but i'm hearing a fluttery sound coming from the sub, sounds like an air leak, but from feeling around the sub, there's no leak, it's sealed. I also smell it pretty instant to playing it. Remember, this sub is 1 month old from electronic express.

Somehow it could be something I'm doing wrong, even though the whole time I researched & used tools to ensure it was set up right, I feel like buying BRAND NEW systems just doesn't cut it... I blew my previous BRAND NEW 2 alpine type s 12"s within a month of owning them, and yes they were wired right.

Can't really tell from this vid, but here it is. And yes theres another same sub brand new in the other whole, but its fried reading at 7 ohms, idk wtf im doing wrong, but it WAS wired right...

That's what I'm saying lol, im guessing the amp isnt tuned right, definetly not over powering. its this http://www.amazon.com/Renegade-REN850S-Amplifier-1000-Watt-2-Ohms/dp/B004QGXX4O

I've got 4 tune knobs, (bass, sub sonic, low pass, power) bass and power which have quarter turn left.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

sounds like ass to me.
That's what I'm saying lol, im guessing the amp isnt tuned right, definetly not over powering. its this Amazon.com : Renegade REN850S Mono Amplifier 1000-Watt at 2-Ohms : Vehicle Mono Subwoofer Amplifiers : Car Electronics

I've got 4 tune knobs, (bass, sub sonic, low pass, power) bass and power which have quarter turn left.

That's what I'm saying lol, im guessing the amp isnt tuned right, definetly not over powering. its this Amazon.com : Renegade REN850S Mono Amplifier 1000-Watt at 2-Ohms : Vehicle Mono Subwoofer Amplifiers : Car ElectronicsI've got 4 tune knobs, (bass, sub sonic, low pass, power) bass and power which have quarter turn left.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

That's what I'm saying lol, im guessing the amp isnt tuned right, definetly not over powering. its this Amazon.com : Renegade REN850S Mono Amplifier 1000-Watt at 2-Ohms : Vehicle Mono Subwoofer Amplifiers : Car Electronics

Could be too little port area causing port noise. AKA ditch the prefab

your amp is not a very good amp. You are clipping the amp sending a very dirty signal to your subs. AKA clipped it to death.

The power aka gain knob, the starting position is all the way to the left side. Imagine its a clock starting position is 7 o clock. ending(max gain) position is 5 o clock. If your gain and bass boost settings are past 2 o clock then its completely clipped.

DO NOT USE bass boost, turn that down to 0 and set your gains properly. If it stops getting louder then stop and turn it back a few notches.

Step one, sell that amp and get a proper monoblock with lots of power to spare.

That's what I'm saying lol, im guessing the amp isnt tuned right, definetly not over powering. its this Amazon.com : Renegade REN850S Mono Amplifier 1000-Watt at 2-Ohms : Vehicle Mono Subwoofer Amplifiers : Car ElectronicsI've got 4 tune knobs, (bass, sub sonic, low pass, power) bass and power which have quarter turn left.

I think your gains might be too high. It sounds like you're clipping. Try setting your gains properly with the DMM method. I would also turn down the "bass" knob all the way as I'm pretty sure it acts as a bass boost. Set your low pass to 80hz to start with. Sub sonic will depend on your box but you can start at around 25hz and up

I also smell it pretty instant to playing it. Remember, this sub is 1 month old from electronic express.
Smell coming from the subwoofer? It sounds like your gains are set too high. As others set turn gain all the way down & turn Bass Boost off/lowest position.

Now set Gain using the multi-meter method as you mentioned you already have a multi-meter.

well thanks for all the replies, I have kicker sending me a set of brand new subs for free(hahahahehehe), and I'm hopefully gonna have 2 single 12" boxes made for the subs at the subs recommended dimensions. I didn't realize the bass on the amp was purely bass boost, turned it to about 1/12 now.

well thanks for all the replies, I have kicker sending me a set of brand new subs for free(hahahahehehe), and I'm hopefully gonna have 2 single 12" boxes made for the subs at the subs recommended dimensions. I didn't realize the bass on the amp was purely bass boost, turned it to about 1/12 now.
Why is that funny? People like you drive the prices up for everyone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.