why do people screw boxes together...

Originally posted by mgaidica reinforcement..
no...not at all....

screws are simply a convient, cheap and easy way to clamp the wood together while the glue is drying. Unless you have a pretty sizable shop, that many large clamps cost a bit, so people screw or brad the box together as it drys. Though the screw do provide a bit of reinforcment, it is not the reason people use screws.

Originally posted by evo2k3 no...not at all....

screws are simply a convient, cheap and easy way to clamp the wood together while the glue is drying. Unless you have a pretty sizable shop, that many large clamps cost a bit, so people screw or brad the box together as it drys. Though the screw do provide a bit of reinforcment, it is not the reason people use screws.
NO, not at all..I'd like to see you put some XXX or brahma's in a box w/ a few screws and wood glue.. Let's see it hold up.. Screws are good reinforcers becuz they thread into both pieces of wood making a tight hold.. The glue helps also, but wont do the trick itself.

Originally posted by more_spl NO, not at all..

I'd like to see you put some XXX or brahma's in a box w/ a few screws and wood glue.. Let's see it hold up.. Screws are good reinforcers becuz they thread into both pieces of wood making a tight hold.. The glue helps also, but wont do the trick itself.
Yup, gotta agree with more_spl. Simply gluing the box would never work because the screws hold the box together tightly while the glue dries, and if you removed the screws, well it'd eventually blow apart with any decent sub(s).

Now, I do have some "glue" that will hold very well, after drying you could remove every screw and not break it apart at the joints with even a hammer (without breaking the wood). Though that's irrevelant here because he mentioned wood glue. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by more_spl NO, not at all..

I'd like to see you put some XXX or brahma's in a box w/ a few screws and wood glue.. Let's see it hold up.. Screws are good reinforcers becuz they thread into both pieces of wood making a tight hold.. The glue helps also, but wont do the trick itself.
screws in mdf do NOT hold well at all, they hold for the period of time they need to and that is ti. They dont thread into both peices because the 1st peice should be a clear hole to allow the two peices to pull together. I put 3 boxes for my w7 together with wood glue and a few screws and just make a box for 2 13w7's with 2kw going to them....they hold just fine.....granted, the later of the boxes was put together using liquide nails. I understand the guy mentioned wood glue, which is quite strong but most people have moved on to bigger and better glues buy now.

I have used floor underlayment adhesive and have been quite pleased w/ the results. It comes in a caulk tube.

Oh yah, BTW, it is just natural to screw a box.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Originally posted by Trixter I have used floor underlayment adhesive and have been quite pleased w/ the results. It comes in a caulk tube.

Oh yah, BTW, it is just natural to screw a box.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
liquide nails and subfloor adhesive are basicly the same thing and both work well and do much more than the screws, other than the clamping portion.

then what'd be the best adhesive/glue that I could use to attach plexi to MDF?

I want to mount a mirrored plexi inside the box, but I'm still not so sure about what kind of glue.

I even thought of silicone...yeah, maybe I should just stick to that. I don't get much of a mirrored surface plexi over here, so I gotta get regular plexi and a roll of mirror tint.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.