Who’s who these days? Wire? Amps?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gizzygone

I used to be fairly knowledgeable a few years back: and helped family and friends with installs quite frequently.

Life got in the way though, and I stepped away from the forums. I’m considering picking up my old hobby again (with a new setup for my car), but it seems a lot has changed through the years!

I’m curious: who is the go-to for Wire?

And how is JL audio? (They were the overpriced option back then, but always a safe bet in terms of quality. Is that still the case? Or have they lost their reputation?). What other Amplifier companies are out there worth a look at?

I used to be fairly knowledgeable a few years back: and helped family and friends with installs quite frequently.
Life got in the way though, and I stepped away from the forums. I’m considering picking up my old hobby again (with a new setup for my car), but it seems a lot has changed through the years!

I’m curious: who is the go-to for Wire?

And how is JL audio? (They were the overpriced option back then, but always a safe bet in terms of quality. Is that still the case? Or have they lost their reputation?). What other Amplifier companies are out there worth a look at?
How long have you been out of the loop?

JL has been as you say pretty much forever and they're still about the same. Dunno if I'd say "overpriced" but certainly premium priced. The quality has stayed pretty top notch and they have a couple factories in the USA employing a couple hundred actual Americans if that's worth anything to you.

Really what amps are "worth looking at" will depend on your budget and goals. The popular stuff these days is pretty much all the same off-the-shelf Korean design amps sold under a dozen or so different brand names. Most of the mainstream brands (JBL/Kicker/Alpine/Pioneer) haven't changed much at all ever, one notable point of interest very recently is that Orion which was once a great name that turned to crap for a long time and is now finally making some pretty decent and fairly priced amps again.

How long have you been out of the loop?
JL has been as you say pretty much forever and they're still about the same. Dunno if I'd say "overpriced" but certainly premium priced. The quality has stayed pretty top notch and they have a couple factories in the USA employing a couple hundred actual Americans if that's worth anything to you.

Really what amps are "worth looking at" will depend on your budget and goals. The popular stuff these days is pretty much all the same off-the-shelf Korean design amps sold under a dozen or so different brand names. Most of the mainstream brands (JBL/Kicker/Alpine/Pioneer) haven't changed much at all ever, one notable point of interest very recently is that Orion which was once a great name that turned to crap for a long time and is now finally making some pretty decent and fairly priced amps again.
That’s good to know about JL.

I’d say it’s been nearly 20 years really. Did a lot of work on systems in Highschool and into college. Once grad school came around, though, I didn’t have any spare time to mess around on the forums, or helping with installs. The real nail in the coffin was a new Jeep JK that I had purchased: when I wanted better sound, instead of doing my research, I ended up going with the Mopar/Kicker offerings (I needed something water resistant, and “built in” so I didn’t need to worry about theft so

Much)!

welding wire https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Cable-Pure-Copper-Power-Wire-1-0-or-2-0-Gauge-AWG-Made-in-USA-SAE-J1127-/302318840814?var=&hash=item46639b6bee:m:mo00vkt4uNr6P4dSHFmiA8A and yes jl is over priced., good if it was 1/2 price.. if u must by jl get it used on fb or offerup in your area u can save $1k on sub and amp.. if u want loud sound subs many other options these day but if you were in car audio in the 90's u need to know 90% of subs require much more power now and power is much cheaper but amps aren't as good

Crutchfield is a good place to go for car audio specific stuff. AudioFrog is a new player with high quality speakers. There is a shop in Allston called, sound in motion, that I visit from time to time while at work that you might like. They are however a bit expensive. Sound In Motion - Boston's Best Mobile Entertainment Design, Installation & Custom Fabrication Shops.

I personally have been experimenting with home audio drivers run active with a DSP. I’ve had some pretty good success doing this with my three vehicles. Pioneer, JBL, Infinity, and Rockford Fosgate are still making good amplifiers and a few good speakers.

That’s good to know about JL.
I’d say it’s been nearly 20 years really. Did a lot of work on systems in Highschool and into college. Once grad school came around, though, I didn’t have any spare time to mess around on the forums, or helping with installs. The real nail in the coffin was a new Jeep JK that I had purchased: when I wanted better sound, instead of doing my research, I ended up going with the Mopar/Kicker offerings (I needed something water resistant, and “built in” so I didn’t need to worry about theft so

Much)!
Well almost all the greats from 20 years ago have fallen. Phoenix Gold (though they've had a few decent things), PPI, Soundstream, MB Quart, Hifonics, US Amps, Lanzar, Crunch, US Acoustics (Pretty much all the old Zed made brand names were sold out, though Zed is designing great amps still for Focal, Mosconi, and under his own brand name) Orion (though they're making a comeback perhaps). Rockford Fosgate is still the same as is Kicker. A/D/S (used to be made in Woburn) is long gone, Xtant is gone, Linear Power gone, Boston Acoustics used to be made in Peabody and has fallen some.

For loudspeakers, TC sounds has come and gone 3 times (their drivers are still excellent if you don't mind buying used), Adire Audio is gone but about to come back (also excellent drivers). JL is still great IMO. JBL/Infinity is great price and performance and Alpine Type R is as well. Alpine Type X is premium price and quality. Most people who care about high-end components buy raw drivers from PartsExpress, Madisound, or boutique companies and cross over via the head unit (those have come a long way in processing power and performance and the prices have got insanely low).

Power is cheap and comes in small packages, 1200w woofers can be had for little more than 200$, and while they aren't terribly efficient can function in small-ish boxes. Almost every high powered subwoofer these days is engineered to function best in ported box so ported is pretty much the conventional wisdom these days. "Stiffening caps" have been proven useless or worse but new "ultracapacitor" technology is useful but scary and a bit expensive.

Weldingsupply.com orange "ultra flex" cable is great stuff fairly priced and made in USA. Knuconcepts (SP?) is a popular choice for cable and Sky High also seems good. I buy a lot of cable and distro stuff from Darvex.com, their selection is all good quality and priced fairly.

Biggest car audio event of the year in the northeast happens the end of this month: Sanford Sounds Show and Shine

Pop by and see what's new for yourself. Plenty of other types of cars at the car show so worth a trip up to Maine for the day.

Well almost all the greats from 20 years ago have fallen. Phoenix Gold (though they've had a few decent things), PPI, Soundstream, MB Quart, Hifonics, US Amps, Lanzar, Crunch, US Acoustics (Pretty much all the old Zed made brand names were sold out, though Zed is designing great amps still for Focal, Mosconi, and under his own brand name) Orion (though they're making a comeback perhaps). Rockford Fosgate is still the same as is Kicker. A/D/S (used to be made in Woburn) is long gone, Xtant is gone, Linear Power gone, Boston Acoustics used to be made in Peabody and has fallen some.
For loudspeakers, TC sounds has come and gone 3 times (their drivers are still excellent if you don't mind buying used), Adire Audio is gone but about to come back (also excellent drivers). JL is still great IMO. JBL/Infinity is great price and performance and Alpine Type R is as well. Alpine Type X is premium price and quality. Most people who care about high-end components buy raw drivers from PartsExpress, Madisound, or boutique companies and cross over via the head unit (those have come a long way in processing power and performance and the prices have got insanely low).

Power is cheap and comes in small packages, 1200w woofers can be had for little more than 200$, and while they aren't terribly efficient can function in small-ish boxes. Almost every high powered subwoofer these days is engineered to function best in ported box so ported is pretty much the conventional wisdom these days. "Stiffening caps" have been proven useless or worse but new "ultracapacitor" technology is useful but scary and a bit expensive.

Weldingsupply.com orange "ultra flex" cable is great stuff fairly priced and made in USA. Knuconcepts (SP?) is a popular choice for cable and Sky High also seems good. I buy a lot of cable and distro stuff from Darvex.com, their selection is all good quality and priced fairly.

Biggest car audio event of the year in the northeast happens the end of this month: Sanford Sounds Show and Shine

Pop by and see what's new for yourself. Plenty of other types of cars at the car show so worth a trip up to Maine for the day.
I’ll have to see what my schedule is like that weekend!

It is amazing: those were all the big brands back then. I know Adire was really starting to take off as THE driver to have.

So Knuconceptz is still around, huh? Are their RCA’s and wire still a decent bet?

I’ll have to see what my schedule is like that weekend!
It is amazing: those were all the big brands back then. I know Adire was really starting to take off as THE driver to have.

So Knuconceptz is still around, huh? Are their RCA’s and wire still a decent bet?
I don't think Adire went away for lack of a good product but just lack of interest/motivation by the owners. Again, even the old ones floating around are still about as good as anything you can get today.

Knu cable and accessories are fairly priced but keep in mind they have a lot of product lines. If you buy the entry level priced ones you get an entry level product, but their mid and higher copper lines are good. They're a brand where you get what you pay for at least vs. some gutter brand where you don't know what you're getting or the premium priced brands where you're paying a bit extra for the name (Kicker comes to mind as really good cable but a bit overpriced).

I don't think Adire went away for lack of a good product but just lack of interest/motivation by the owners. Again, even the old ones floating around are still about as good as anything you can get today.
Knu cable and accessories are fairly priced but keep in mind they have a lot of product lines. If you buy the entry level priced ones you get an entry level product, but their mid and higher copper lines are good. They're a brand where you get what you pay for at least vs. some gutter brand where you don't know what you're getting or the premium priced brands where you're paying a bit extra for the name (Kicker comes to mind as really good cable but a bit overpriced).
Adire just announced its comeback like 5 days ago or something if im not mistaken. So if the OP is feeling nostalgic, hes got some good timing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Gizzygone

Gizzygone
Boston MA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
youdoofus