Which subwoofer would be best for this application???

Participant count
  • Participant list

txdog27
10+ year member

Senior VIP Bad Ass Member
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab truck and I am re-doing my sound system for like the 20th time but I'm trying my best to make this the LAST time and i want it to exceed my expectations and satisfy my sound needs for a good long while.

I am in the process of rebuilding my front and rear stages now with upper end components on a high power fully active setup.

I am going with one 15" subwoofer firing to the rear from a middle console box......

I will be mounting the sub in a custom built and fiberglassed middle console box that molded into the front of the dash and runs as far back as it can to the backseat......it is made of 3/4" mdf with fiberglass outer shell I can make this as big or small as I need to and can accommodate up to 7.2 sq. ft. of air volume minus port and sub displacement so lets just say 6 cubic feet to be safe for usable volume.......or lower depending on the sub......and i plan to use a slot port and vent to the rear the same way the sub faces...........or is a round flare port better......and which way would be better to vent it?

The entire truck has double layers of sound dampener and everything i could seal up or off on the door panels and rear cab wall and under dash has been done.....pretty decently soundproofed....

Power will not be an issue as i have the money to buy most any amplifier needed to power whatever subwoofer i decide to use. So that is not a determining factor, however power supply may be

i have one DC 270A alternator and two Kinentic 2600 batteries plus optima start battery.

I have had my heart set on a 15" Fi Audio BTL Dual 2 with all the options but im begining to question that choice........

So now that enclosure airspace is not a big issue and power is a minimal issue......what 15" subwoofer would best suit my truck?

My music listening tastes are mostly rap music and some rock music......i like having high sound quality and nice smooth sounding bass, but i also want to be able to really hit the lows on demand and put out some spl.........still want some wow factor in my bass lol

Some of the subs I have looked at are the Fi's BTL, Digital Designs 95's, DC Audio, Soundstream XXX, RE Audio MT's, Treo's, T3 Audio, TC Sounds, Ascendant Audio, and a few others but I do not have any listening experience with most of these and don't really know which one would be best for me.........any opinions on any of these subs or any that I have overlooked would be appreciated........

I have had Fi BL's , JL Audio 12W7's, Alpine Type X's, Kicker L7's, MTX 9500's, and the last ones i had were Rockford T2's............and of them all I was most impressed with the JL W7........super clean and smooth but still was able to really get low and pound out some deep seat shaking bass.....would moving up to a 13W7 do anything for me? or is a 13W7 not even in the same league as Fi and DD and such??

Yup I need help from those of you with experience with these subs in a truck application.......

Are you looking to improve upon output over the previous subwoofers you've owned? If so, cone area and/or power gains will be helpful. The enclosure will be hugely important, as I'm sure you know.

For any enclosure with curvature, I prefer PSP Aero Ports for ease of installation, performance, etc. Great little port tubes. A 6" would work for many, if not most, 15" subwoofers.

I think you might want to look into the SSA Xcon, possibly Zcon. The Xcon is notorious for sounding articulate while maintaining the ability to get loud and low. The Zcon is more recent, and I cannot chime in on it, personally.

Just keep in mind that "There's no replacement for displacement" didn't become a common phrase for no reason.

If you are determined to squeeze every last drop of cone area out of this, you may consider 2 or 3 12's, if you can come up with an alignment to allow so.

Best wishes.

ok I will check them out thx and yes I am looking to increase the ouput alot particularly the bass you 'feel' without totally sacraficing my sound quality but i will give up a little for the right thump lol I having only running 12's in this truck so I decided to step up to a 15" on this install how would a 15" Fi BTL compare to this sub

Vote goes to the Xcon. W7 isn't even in the same class. I went from a 13W7 in a custom ported box to a 12" Xcon in its own custom box. Both had the same amp. The W7 matched it in SQ, but couldn't match the Xcon when it came to the lows and SPL. Plus if you ever need a Xcon recone it's 120 shipped back to you. A W7 recone is like 400+ and it usually takes months to get your sub back.

Vote goes to the Xcon. W7 isn't even in the same class. I went from a 13W7 in a custom ported box to a 12" Xcon in its own custom box. Both had the same amp. The W7 matched it in SQ, but couldn't match the Xcon when it came to the lows and SPL. Plus if you ever need a Xcon recone it's 120 shipped back to you. A W7 recone is like 400+ and it usually takes months to get your sub back.
Look at the date...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.