Which subs? Type R, FI, AQ?

Wolverine19D
10+ year member

Hey guys so currently I have 2 12" L5 Kickers with a MB Quart 1500.1 amp and it pushes those hard and they are really loud in my Jeep Wrangler. But I hate the bass they have, it is only highs and it doesn't pick up nowhere near as good as my Kicker Comp-12's in my car. So I have been thinking about getting 2 15" subs to put in there instead.

I would kinda like the subs to match the amp but it is possible to buy a new amp if needed. But I am kinda limited on RMS currently. My stock alt can't keep up with the amp I have now and I also have the HC600 Kinetic battery. I can only play it when I am going down the road at about 2k RPM. So I am going to upgrade my stock alt which I think is 90Amps to one at around 140 I believe. And maybe eventually get a Optima yellowtop?

So which sub would be the best bang for the buck? I want loud and a sub that will have sound quality as well. I have heard good things about the Type R's which are perfect match for RMS with the amp. And the FI and AQ I have also heard good about but I think they are rated more and I don't want to underpower them? I have also thought about the Memphis Mojo's. So what do you think is my best option guys? I am open to anything.

Sorry for all of the questions but your input will be appreciated. And yes pricing matters so I would like to keep this as reasonable as possible and nothing too outrageous. Thanks guys!

P.S. - Spacing is also kinda an issue. I don't have much room back there (yes my backseats out) but which subs also perform the best with smaller boxes?

I have heard good things about the type r subs.

I just bought two new ten inch type r subs my self.

They were local, and should work great in my tundra.

Why not give them a try.

I have heard good things about the type r subs.I just bought two new ten inch type r subs my self.

Why not give them a try.
because theres better stuff out there.

I have heard good things about the type r subs.

I just bought two new ten inch type r subs my self.

Why not give them a try.

I also like it that the. Type r subs dont need a

Ton of power to acheive loud status.

Thanks guys, I haven't heard much about sundown... how do they compare to others? And would 1500rms be enough for 2 of them or would it be lacking since they would be underpowered considering how it shows 1000rms each? And the price range I was thinking 200-250 each or less if possible so those subs are in my price range.

And yea I have heard a ton of good things about the Type R's I just wanted to see what else there was out there. Will these sundowns put them to shame? I remember reading somewhere the AQ's sound good but don't get as loud on the meter. I am wanting to get as loud as I can while retaining sound quality and getting low. Thanks guys!!

sundown will work well on that power and sound real good. im running some aq's now and they defiantly get loud on the meter but some songs they sound like total **** thats why im changing them out.

Thanks, so how much louder do you think Sundown is over say the Type R then? I think I will rule out the AQ's if they dont sound good on some songs. This is going to be a daily setup of course and I just want it to sound good yet be as loud as possible. I can't believe how much louder subs are in my jeep wrangler over my car, easily half again louder if not more.

P.s. - I just looked and seen Kicker has the Comp VX rated at 1000RMS too. Are these any good or are they all just for loudness and no sound quality? Because I am happy with my old C-12's they just aren't loud but sound good to me. Those solobaric 12's I have sound like **** in my opinion and are only good on highs.

What ever sub u choose. You may have to go thru a couple of different box. Designes

Before you come up with a good compromise between

Sq and gettin loud.

My wife has a single ported kicker cvx in her wrangler on out 800 watts and it wangs like hell in there.

Excellent sq as well.

Thanks guys, yea I think I will have someone on here come up with the box design after I get the subs then build one myself. It looks like the sundowns are already spoken for on the other site. Is there any FI's that match up decent on the RMS? And how do they sound as far as sound quality, and I am guessing the loudness is probably beating almost anything else?

You want to get as loud as possible but also have good SQ? You have to pick a side. You have AQ totally flipped, they get loud on the meter but don't really have good SQ. I'd choose the AQ SDC2.5s over type rs any day. Look into the DC Lvl 3s, they do get loud and have great SQ. Sundown is also a good company and I've read nonstop great reviews about their products. As far as Fi, apparently the Fi Qs are the new "in" sub around here, but I don't really know anything about them, I just heard they sound great on lows.

Thanks for all of the input so far. So I am leaning towards the Sundowns or FI's. Are there any FI's that would work well with 1500RMS for two? And between the FI's and Sundowns which one do you think is louder, and which has better sound quality?

Thanks guys, and yes I am still open to more options.

the Fi ssd's and the sundowns 12's are around the same price, brand new. both have 3'' voice coils. the Aq sd2.5, have 2.5'' voice coils, but are cheaper . i would go with the Fi

Thanks Corrie I am leaning towards 2 15" FI SSD's. I believe they are rated at 800 RMS each from a little browsing. So that would actually be a good match for the amp I have. Now I just need to find 2 SSD's I can wire down to 1 ohm here on the forums. I don't believe FI sells them anymore?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.