Blown Sub or Something Else

Participant count
  • Participant list

450rdawg
10+ year member

GA
I need some help identifying a problem. I posted a thread on here a week or so ago but never really got clarification on the problem so maybe this will get me answered.

I have a RE SE/X12D4 in a 2.3 cuft box tuned to 33Hz. My amp is a Treo SSX 750.1. The amp is probably doing a little more than rated but the sub is rated @ 600wrms and I thought it could take it.

I was driving down the road the other day listening to Jeezy's Air Forces and the bass just started fading out at anything over 50% volume. I listen to my sh** loud quite a bit so yes, it was turned up. Now while driving around, the sub will just out of nowhere make a loud thumping sound and occasionally push all the way out and stay there until you turn the head unit off. It even does this when the head unit is completely turned off. I noticed a burning smell so when I went back there to check it out, it was coming from the port on the box. The smell is just overwhelming so I unhooked the power wire. I thought this might be an electrical problem so I checked out all of the connections and everything's just fine.

So, never having blown a sub before, did I do it?

sounds like to me the leads snapped/burnt in 2 or the coil is burnt so bad it cuts in and out...
I don't think that's it at all. If the leads are broken or the coil is blown, current cannot flow through it so it could not move.
This is most likely your RCA's being punctured. If the positive and negative touch, the sub can behave in this fashion. I would also check the amp grounds and speaker leads. If anything looks cut, frayed, or is touching metal from somewhere else it will cause this.

^ ahh none of that would cause smoke from the sub.
pull the sub from the enclosure and inspect it....
He didn't really say smoke he said he just smelled it. This indicates the coil is hot from clipping. The key thing is that the woofer pushes out and just stays there sometimes. If he's got his signal or speaker cables grounding, it would cause this.

Thanks for the input. I will try to pull everything out over the weekend and replace the RCAs just as a precaution. These trailblazers are a real pain to pull the head unit from so I want to go ahead and do that for no more than they cost.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.