Which setup will be better?

st0n3r
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Well i got my new replacement Kicker S10L7's delivered the 28th. Finally got time yesterday to install them. 20 minutes later and my car was as smoked out as i would have been in a few hours *lol*. So they are headed back for an RMA. I got approved to swap out my 2 10"s 4ohm DVC's for a single 15" L7 4ohm. Which setup is better for the SPL.

2 x 10" L7's on a Rockford Fosgate Tb1500.1dbcp (parallel wired)

1 x 15" L7 on a Rockford Fosgate Tb1500.1dbcp (parallel wired)

The amp i usually keep the gain set between 3-5, frequency is generally around 75-80. I know the 15" can handle a ton more than the 10's could, but being 2 10's wouldnt their ratings double which would fit with my amp, or was i WAY over powering them?

I will be going ported again as well.

It doesn't matter because you'll blow your new ones too.

Why would you just assume that? Its not like i installed them, cranked everything max and let it run till they blew. They were hooked up for under 30 minutes with minimal power and my HU was on 10 out of 40. Was letting the car run for a bit to get a lil break in time for them (generally have heard a week of easy listening). Is the amp too much for them?

Why would you just assume that? Its not like i installed them, cranked everything max and let it run till they blew. They were hooked up for under 30 minutes with minimal power and my HU was on 10 out of 40. Was letting the car run for a bit to get a lil break in time for them (generally have heard a week of easy listening). Is the amp too much for them?
No. Either both of then were defective, or you did something wrong. What kind of wiring do you have? What's the current rating for your alternator? What kind of battery were you using? You probably clipped them to shit due to a lack of voltage.

Voltage at the amp read between 14 - 14.2v. Its 2 guage power wire from the battery to fuse block, 2 guage from fuse block to the cap. 2 guage from cap to amp. Ground wire is 4 guage. 4 guage from body to amp and 4 guage from cap to separate body ground. Speaker wires are 10 guage rockford wire's. They are parallel wired per kicker tech on the phone. The subs were than run out of the box through 1 terminal. From the terminal to the amp was 10guage wiring, red was to the outside + and the ground was to the opposite ends outside ground per the rockford manual. So + on A and - on B.

I get very minimal headlight dimming at night if i am really rocking it out, but i will be installing a loop to my trunk for a 2nd battery as its much cheaper than buying a new alternator for my car. Ive not completed the big 3 yet either but that along with installing my sound dampening is very soon.

Voltage at the amp read between 14 - 14.2v. Its 2 guage power wire from the battery to fuse block, 2 guage from fuse block to the cap. 2 guage from cap to amp. Ground wire is 4 guage. 4 guage from body to amp and 4 guage from cap to separate body ground. Speaker wires are 10 guage rockford wire's. They are parallel wired per kicker tech on the phone. The subs were than run out of the box through 1 terminal. From the terminal to the amp was 10guage wiring, red was to the outside + and the ground was to the opposite ends outside ground per the rockford manual. So + on A and - on B.
I get very minimal headlight dimming at night if i am really rocking it out, but i will be installing a loop to my trunk for a 2nd battery as its much cheaper than buying a new alternator for my car. Ive not completed the big 3 yet either but that along with installing my sound dampening is very soon.
Hmm. How'd you set your gain? If you burnt up your subs, there's a major electrical issue.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

What amp are you running by the way?
It's in the OP. Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP (t15001bdcp) 1500W RMS Constant

Well i got my new replacement Kicker S10L7's delivered the 28th. Finally got time yesterday to install them. 20 minutes later and my car was as smoked out as i would have been in a few hours *lol*. So they are headed back for an RMA. I got approved to swap out my 2 10"s 4ohm DVC's for a single 15" L7 4ohm. Which setup is better for the SPL.
2 x 10" L7's on a Rockford Fosgate Tb1500.1dbcp (parallel wired)

1 x 15" L7 on a Rockford Fosgate Tb1500.1dbcp (parallel wired)

The amp i usually keep the gain set between 3-5, frequency is generally around 75-80. I know the 15" can handle a ton more than the 10's could, but being 2 10's wouldnt their ratings double which would fit with my amp, or was i WAY over powering them?

I will be going ported again as well.
Are you saying you just set the gain just wherever you felt like putting it? That's not how you set an amp, no wonder you blew your shit.

No im not saying i just "tossed it there". On my old set of subs that i had for about a year (kicker 10" l7's that were just replaced). I had the gain between 3 and 5, i cant remember its what the local audio shop had me set at and it sounded great. With the new subs i just received i turned it down to slightly above 1 (less than 1/2 way to 2) just so that some power would hit the subs for the break-in period. I just cant remember where exactly the gain was set at almost 18 months ago at the shop. I havent even had the time to re-adjust the amp settings for the new speakers because it was barely above 1 for 15'ish minutes with an idle car.

Ive read how to adjust your gains (whether it holds legit who knows, HU up to about 75% unless its all distorted to crap at 75%, than go lower, bass at 0 on the HU, once you find that point with the head unit, adjust the gain slowly until clipping / distortion, than back down slowly and leave it alone?) Again, thats not a method ive ever tried, just what i read frequently and the method i would have likely attempted once i got the subs ran for about a week.

They were just replaced because they started sounding as if there were plastic bags inside the enclosure. They would still work but sounded horrible. I "think" this garbage box i bought killed them honestly. It was made by a company kicker recommended. It was a slammer ported enclosure from Atrend. However, i had it delivered straight to the shop and they installed the subs, and amp. I had the wiring done on my own, had them do the subs / amp along with a tint job. I never seen the inside of the enclosure until about 2 weeks ago. For a ported box that was recommended by kicker and an authorized reseller or w/ever it was garbage. It was 2 cutouts on each end, at the back inner corners were openings to the opposite side of the box. Than the center vent thats about 3" wide all the way in about 2"s from the back of the box. There was nothing but open space the rest of the box. No braces, no angles or tubes (the stuff you are really suppose to use for making a ported box), so its possible the horrible box cause its on the 1st ones now that i think about it, but im no guru on car electronics which is why im here asking //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Also, would i be better off swapping the Rockford Fosgate T1500.1dbcp for a Kicker ZX1500.1, or just keeping the Rockford?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.