• Thread starter <IowaBoomer>
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 2K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
&

<IowaBoomer>

I have a Vega 10'' sub, and if I didn't blow it, I blew the amp. I believe it has a 400 watt max capactiy, so I need a farily inexpensive amp that would deliver a pretty good sound with it and not blow it. If I did blow the sub, what is a good new setup to use with a Lanzar 1600 cd player (60X4)? I have a weak ass PUNCH 250 amp, so if that could be used, and apparently I won a THUMP 10'' sub on ebay for $1. I doubt its worth a ****, but for a buck.....

I couldn't tell you what kind (I recieved this from a friend), but it is black with a red trim on the outside and VEGA in red in the middle.

iowa boomer

lets say ur vega sub is 300watts. if u hooked up ur amp mono u prob blew the speaker, even though ur amp has small power rockford still under rates there amps.

Only the vega series has the red surround. Now on to the testing to see if the sub is blown.. If you have a multi-meter check the resistance..if it isnt withing.5 of either 4 or 8 then it's done. If you dont have one take a scrap piece of speaker wire and attatch it to the sub then take the other end and touch them to a small battery (I use AA) if the speaker moves then the sub isnt blown..If it's a dual voice coil you will need to check both coils. One other thing The sub has a max input of 600 watts so no the amp shouldn't have killed the vega..It's possible but unlikely. Fosgate doesn't underate their equipment that much I am afraid to say.

Mike

Rockford doesnt overrate their ****? That is a dumbass comment. I had a 500a2 raterd at 742 watts, 242 watts over its said power! Don't tell me that isnt underrating.

Well, the sub isnt blown...just a loose wire or something. I'm only paying $16 for the sub, including shipping, so its worth a shot on the thump amp, at least for a lil more power boost. Ok, now as a newb, I would like a dictionary of some sort. What does mono, crossover, OHM, ect mean? I really wanna know all about my sub, not just like it to go boom.

Mono is the sum of both left and right signals.. (no stereo sound)

Crossover active and passive

Active is a powered device that seperates frequencies one or more times to get to the correct amp speaker combination. they are put in b4 the amp . say you have a 4 channel amp with two tweeters and two midrange speakers.. the crossover sends all frquencies from about 3000 hz to the tweeter and all frequencies from about 80hz- 3000hz to the midrange.

Passive can be a series of inductance coils and papacitors to seperate frequencies after the amp to the mid and tweeter.

Ohms are the measurement of resistance..Everything has resistance, speakers all have dfferent resistance so is important when figuring out what you are gonna do with a system..

If an amp was only 4 ohm stable you wouldnt want to run 2 sets of 4ohm components to it becuase the speakers would have a resistance of 2 ohms.. The amp would probably work for a while but after a time the extra power the amp is trying to put out would kill it.

Ryan, I did not say they don't do it I said they don't averrate their amps by that much..I am not here to start trouble only to provide what info may help...(My opinion)-> Rockfrod makes a good product they just dont sell anything I would use..their amps just dont sound right to me. I would recommend them to anyone who is into stereos I just will never have another one.

Mike

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.