Which 6.5" component should I get.

New project. I am currently put the system together and using Focal ES165 KX2 for Honda Accord 2017. New project for Honda Odyssey 2010. My budget for new component is $650. I would love to try Morel or any other that is better or equal to my Focal ES165. Es165 tweeter seem a bit bright to me. Please advise.

My plan is going to use the following

one set of 6.5" component (don't which one know yet)

two 8" sub (don't which one know yet)

DSP (maybe Helix)

6 Channel amp (maybe Zapco)

New head unit (don't know which one yet)

Thank you,

New project. I am currently put the system together and using Focal ES165 KX2 for Honda Accord 2017. New project for Honda Odyssey 2010. My budget for new component is $650. I would love to try Morel or any other that is better or equal to my Focal ES165. Es165 tweeter seem a bit bright to me. Please advise.

DSP (maybe Helix)

Thank you,

First of all, I'd like to know if you will be going active. If you are getting a DSP, I will be assuming that you will be (not too many people install a DSP and go passive). And, if you go active it would be a waste of money to buy a component system for the front stage. You would get a much better "bang-for-the-buck" if you got raw drivers from Parts Express or Madisound. With component systems, you are purchasing crossovers that you will never use...if going active. I am not very familiar with raw drivers as I am still running passive (not for too much longer, hopefully), so I will not be offering advice as to which drivers to get. There are many here who can, although...and probably will.

If going passive, I use Morel's Tempo Ultra 602 two-way components. They are considerably less expensive than your $650 budget, but I absolutely love them. I can play them loud all day long without getting ear fatigue and without any ear ringing when I turn them off after extended periods of loud playing. Impressive bass response, as well, as long as you deaden the doors. You should very definitely do that.

I looked at some pics of the 2010 Honda Odyssey and it does not look like you will be able to put in an aftermarket head unit. It looks like you will be stuck using the stock head unit. If I am correct here, then you will almost be forced to get a DSP if you are wanting the best possible sound from the sound system. That previously mentioned Helix P Six DSP looks interesting. If you want to go to a separate, outboard DSP then the Helix DSP.2 or the Mosconi 6to8 Aerospace are probably two of the better DSPs on the market.

For the 6-channel amp, the Zapco Z150.6 LX would be my choice (if not opting for the Helix P Six DSP). Get the LX version if going the Zapco Z series, especially if you are getting the outboard DSP. My second choice would any of the other Z series Zapco 6-channel amps. Third choice would be the Arc Audio XDi 1200.6.

Now, if you are looking for an SQ 8" sub, I'd recommend either Image Dynamics IDQ8 or Dayton Audio HO 8". There are lots to choose from in this category.

Remember, these are just ideas, recommendations, things to consider. But, should give you a good starting point.

DSP (maybe Helix)

Thank you,
Keep your focals, guaranteed you have not put in anywhere near a proper tune on them. Put in the dsp and amp first and do a proper tune/install before even thinking about buying a new set of speakers. Its not the speaker which is the issue its your tune and install thats not up to par.

First of all, I'd like to know if you will be going active. If you are getting a DSP, I will be assuming that you will be (not too many people install a DSP and go passive). And, if you go active it would be a waste of money to buy a component system for the front stage. You would get a much better "bang-for-the-buck" if you got raw drivers from Parts Express or Madisound. With component systems, you are purchasing crossovers that you will never use...if going active. I am not very familiar with raw drivers as I am still running passive (not for too much longer, hopefully), so I will not be offering advice as to which drivers to get. There are many here who can, although...and probably will.
If going passive, I use Morel's Tempo Ultra 602 two-way components. They are considerably less expensive than your $650 budget, but I absolutely love them. I can play them loud all day long without getting ear fatigue and without any ear ringing when I turn them off after extended periods of loud playing. Impressive bass response, as well, as long as you deaden the doors. You should very definitely do that.

I looked at some pics of the 2010 Honda Odyssey and it does not look like you will be able to put in an aftermarket head unit. It looks like you will be stuck using the stock head unit. If I am correct here, then you will almost be forced to get a DSP if you are wanting the best possible sound from the sound system. That previously mentioned Helix P Six DSP looks interesting. If you want to go to a separate, outboard DSP then the Helix DSP.2 or the Mosconi 6to8 Aerospace are probably two of the better DSPs on the market.

For the 6-channel amp, the Zapco Z150.6 LX would be my choice (if not opting for the Helix P Six DSP). Get the LX version if going the Zapco Z series, especially if you are getting the outboard DSP. My second choice would any of the other Z series Zapco 6-channel amps. Third choice would be the Arc Audio XDi 1200.6.

Now, if you are looking for an SQ 8" sub, I'd recommend either Image Dynamics IDQ8 or Dayton Audio HO 8". There are lots to choose from in this category.

Remember, these are just ideas, recommendations, things to consider. But, should give you a good starting point.
Thank you. Yes, I will do active. I might get the same Helix .2 just like my Honda Accord. Zapco Z series is a bit high for my budget. I was thinking about REF 650.6 ZAPCO 6-CHANNEL AMP REFERENCE, is about $550.

What do you think between these two amps. Your recommendation of this amp ZAPCO DSP-Z6 III 6-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND PROCESSOR 10 BAND PARAMETRIC EQUALIZER | eBay and REF 650.6 ZAPCO 6-CHANNEL AMP REFERENCE.

Keep your focals, guaranteed you have not put in anywhere near a proper tune on them. Put in the dsp and amp first and do a proper tune/install before even thinking about buying a new set of speakers. Its not the speaker which is the issue its your tune and install thats not up to par.

Thank you. Yes, the focal are on my Accord but I just want to try something different on Odyssey and bit lower price. Accord is almost done. I will post some pics when is all done.

Thank you. Yes, I will do active. I might get the same Helix .2 just like my Honda Accord. Zapco Z series is a bit high for my budget. I was thinking about REF 650.6 ZAPCO 6-CHANNEL AMP REFERENCE, is about $550.
What do you think between these two amps. Your recommendation of this amp ZAPCO DSP-Z6 III 6-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND PROCESSOR 10 BAND PARAMETRIC EQUALIZER | eBay and REF 650.6 ZAPCO 6-CHANNEL AMP REFERENCE.
You will want way more power then those. Zapco hasn't done to well in the DSP department. The new versions may or may not change that.

That Zapco you are looking at is a DSP, not an amp by the way. And, I'd stay with the Helix that you are considering. The REF 650.6 amp you are looking at is a good amp. I've always wanted to try one of those symbilink amps, but it is only 6 x 50 watts RMS at 4 ohms. My experience tells me I would want more headroom (my amp is 60 watts RMS at 4 ohms and I'm wanting more).

I sent you a PM.

You will want way more power then those. Zapco hasn't done to well in the DSP department. The new versions may or may not change that.
Thank you. I don't know why I put the link of DSP as an amp. I guess I was so tired after I spent long hours working on the systems with hot weather. My DSP will be Helix .2.

That Zapco you are looking at is a DSP, not an amp by the way. And, I'd stay with the Helix that you are considering. The REF 650.6 amp you are looking at is a good amp. I've always wanted to try one of those symbilink amps, but it is only 6 x 50 watts RMS at 4 ohms. My experience tells me I would want more headroom (my amp is 60 watts RMS at 4 ohms and I'm wanting more).
I sent you a PM.
Thank you. I don't know why I put the link of DSP as an amp. I guess I was so tired after I spent long hours working on the systems with hot weather. My DSP will be Helix .2.

Arc XDI 1200.6 would do well for you. It's a strong and efficient and small 150x6.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.