which 10" alpine sub do I need for this amp?

bentz69
10+ year member

I have a rockford p5002. Specs on the amp say 500 watts RMS in bridged mode at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode). Im using this right now bridged to power 1 rockford 15" hx2. I want to switch to an alpine 10" SWR to save space. I dont know if I should buy the 1023D or 1043D to use with this amp on that bridged setting. It seems like the 1043 is the right way to go because its a 4ohm amp. But after I looked at the manual for the sub im getting confused. I put this pic together from the manual.

Why does it say 8ohms (from the amp)for the 4 ohm sub...and 4 ohms (from the amp) for the 2 ohm sub?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Because a 4 ohm dvc sub can be wired to either 2 or 8 ohms and a 2 ohm dvc sub can be wired to either 1 or 4 ohms. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

It's basic info, bro. A simple google search would've answered your question.

lol thanks.

The rockford 15" sub I have now is a 4ohm dvc sub and its running at 500 watts rms in bridged mode at 4 ohms. Why is this different?

lol thanks.
The rockford 15" sub I have now is a 4ohm dvc sub and its running at 500 watts rms in bridged mode at 4 ohms. Why is this different?
it cant be running at 4 ohms you are either running it at 8 or 2 which is belw recommended impendance

obviously Im a newb to this. So my rockford sub has been running incorrectly for a few years now. Oh well. I couldnt tell the difference.

So the 1023 it is. Care to explain why a 4ohm amp needs to be used on 2ohm sub? I dont understand

obviously Im a newb to this. So my rockford sub has been running incorrectly for a few years now. Oh well. I couldnt tell the difference.
So the 1023 it is. Care to explain why a 4ohm amp needs to be used on 2ohm sub? I dont understand
a dual 4 sub can only run in 2 ohms and 8 ohms it can be wired to produce a 4 ohm load. a dual 2 sub can only run at 4 ohms and at 1 ohm it cant be wired to 2 ohms. the only way possible to run it in 4 ohms is to only run one coil. having one dual 4 or dual 2 is like having 2 single 4's or single 2's in a sense

NOOB...and amp is an amp. got it. amp say it will put out 500 on a 4 ohm load. so that mean you have to wire up the subs to have a 4 ohm resistance. The amp puts out 500 watts with a 4 ohm impedance load. If you wire it to 8 ohms, then the amp will put out half of that 500 theoretically. and if you lower the impedance to 2 ohms then the amp might double the power to 1000watts. Less resistance equals more wattage to get through to the woofer. more resistance mean then wattage is restricted... Now if you have a sub that says it is dual 4 ohm coils, then that means it is not 4 ohms total impedance. it is either 8 ohms because you have to wire them in series, or it is 2 ohms it you wire the sub in parrell. Do a search on series and parrell wiring.

SSA Shop- SSA Dcon 10D4 Sub woofer300watt rms

buy this sub its a single 4 u cant mess it up, plus imho its a better sub

if u get the typr

1_2ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SWR-1023D-quot-Type-Subwoofer/dp/B003J5EZUY

this is the sub u need

ok guys I understand now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I was looking at the amp and noticed it was set to low pass crossover and the frequency knob was set to 80 hz. Should the freq be set to a lower number for the alpine sub?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.