Where would you put the tweeters?

cwzilly
10+ year member

Hates distortion
I'm a new owner of a (used) 2013 Chrysler 200 sedan. I was debating between two different setups:

1) run midrange driver in the door (anywhere from 6" to 6x9") and a 3.5" coaxial speaker in the dash - these are stock locations

2) run a component setup with crossover (passive); midrange in the door, but I'm not sure where to mount the tweeter - see picture below

Here is a interior picture I found online, I pointed out 4 mounting locations

If you look at the picture, you can see where the stock 2.5" dash speakers are located; they point straight up into the window, and I read this can cause harshness when using ampd tweeters.

The A-piller looks nice, and is flat so I could easily cut a hole to mount the tweeter; thing is they are aimed to the left side (slightly downward) of passenger's ears. I'm not capable of any advanced custom work, but a simple cut hole isn't a problem.

Would not mounting the tweeters down low lower the sound stage?

I'm thinking I could use double sided tape and just play around with mounting locations, just wouldn't be too happy spending money on component set if I like the dash coaxial setup better.

other details that may or may not be of importance:

*Most likely will be installing aftermarket DDIN receiver, since the Metra kit looks decent; plus I'm too worried about a LOC amplifying noise since my last car had mad white noise that I could never get rid of.

*Will be running speakers off amplifier(s)

*Unsure if I will keep the stock rear deck 6x9 midranges plugged in, or take theme out

*Not worried about subwoofer(s) for now, I just want to get the front stage set up to my likeing.

Id try to use the stock dash location and either try to angle the tweeter surface/flus mounted or stay below stock grill and angle it in direction you like keeps everything clean. Or see if there is a factory option with tweets in a pillar trim and just but that trim from somewhere.

If you want to try something different that won't require you to cut anything I can show you what I mean. This kind of speaker layout can be handled very neatly without needing to mix and match coaxials.

the issue people have with dash tweeters is two-fold.

1. the tweeter mounting does not address phase interference. changing how the tweeter sits and aims can resolve some of this. firing up vs toward the windshield vs toward the listener all produce different characteristics.

2. using passive crossovers limits what you can do for crossover points and level - two adjustments which can fix most tweeter issues.

they can sound good in the dash and that will look the best - all depends on what you do for physical mounting/aiming and control.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.