using phone to drive amp, weird sound level changes

Participant count
  • Participant list
This isn't exactly a car audio project, it is a home stereo project built with car audio parts.

I'm building a stereo for my garage with some stuff I had laying around. I have a 12V sealed lead acid battery (35AH) that is wired directly to a Jensen 4 channel amp (760.4 model, 65 watts RMS per channel unbridged) with 8 gauge wire for power and negative. Hooked up I have 2 old 90 watt RMS rated Pioneer 6x9s. Instead of a car head unit, I hooked up my Samsung Galaxy 2 phone directly to the amp via a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable. Everything works fine, but on some heavier songs, the sound levels will drop during periods of heavy bass (think heavy bass guitar and bass drums pounding away during a refrain). This happens regardless if I run the amp bridged to 2 channel mode, or only run 2 of the 4 channels in 4 channel mode. Measuring voltage off the power and ground terminals of the amp, I don't detect any voltage drops when the sound levels start to become erratic.

My first thought was that the phone wasn't putting out a high enough voltage for the amp to cleanly amplify the signal during those periods . I then tried to hook up an old MP3 player. There was no varying in the sound levels, but the overall bass response wasn't as good as when I had the phone hooked up.

Here are my few theories, I was wondering if anyone had any input?

1- The power wiring is inadequate. I would find this hard to believe because the total power the amp is drawing wouldn't be over the capabilities of a 3' run of 10 gauge wire (I wouldn't think)

2- The battery just doesn't have enough juice. I find this hard to believe because I don't see any voltage drops during the heavier songs. On a full charge, I see roughly 12.7V. Is that not enough to cleanly power this amp?

3- The phone is the culprit. This is what I find to be most likely. Even though the MP3 player gave an overall lower quality of sound (what I would guess means the MP3 player puts out an even smaller voltage on the sound signal), I feel that somehow the phone self-attenuates the sound levels or has its own internal problems that cause it to drop in voltage on the output signal during extreme music. I will probably end up getting a head unit with proper RCA preamp outputs to test this, but what do you guys think?

yes, the phone is likely the culprit since the mp3 player doesn't do it. that isn't surprising that the phone headphone output has a built-in limiter (possibly to protect earbuds or limit power consumption). FWIW my Droid RAZR does not have a similar issue.

note you are using headphone outputs on both devices which have their own inherent distortion and limitations on sound quality.

you should have a fuse on the battery power lead, BTW.

I assume you built/had boxes for the 6x9's?

A $25 used receiver would probably outperform your setup and give you more options.

also worth trying another type/style of aux adapter from your phone, not all aux are the same, some work with ipods/mp3 players and wont work on phones, worth a shot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.