where to pull power for an amp

Participant count
  • Participants list

keithl1967

CarAudio.com Newbie
New to the forums, so be kind...
I am installing an amp for the first time in my '67 Camaro. Instructions call for a direct line to the battery for power, with an inline 30amp fuse.

My question--If I already have an auxiliary fuse panel with an open slot--can I just run the power from the fuse block, instead of a separate line to the battery?

does it make that much of a difference?

Thanks in Advance.

does it make that much of a difference?
Yes. Even a small aftermarket amp will want to draw a lot more current than any of your factory electrical system is meant to handle. In fact it is good practice to add an additional cable from - battery terminal to the frame as close as possible up under the hood... the idea being every bit of current that passes through the + terminal needs to come back through the - terminal and most cars have the skimpiest possible ground wires stock, basically barely even up to the task of running every accessory in the vehicle at the same time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.