Where is the gain on this thing?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fuzion64

BFE

Normally when you have an amp you have one gain setting, but my Kenwood KAC-K9106D has all 4 of these. Would I be correct in saying THE Input sensitivity[v] is the gain itself. LPF Hz would be set to match my Memphis PR-12 LPF Frequency according to my subwoofer hz specs. Bass boost is optional and ISF frequency is what exactly?

If you were setting up this amp KAC-9106D for a memphis PR-12 12" Subwoofer how would you do it?

Description of Memphis Audio 15SA12D4:

SA Subwoofer Slim Sub. Fat Sound.

Want some great Memphis bass, but think you don’t have any room? New for 2014 Memphis Car Audio introduces the SA subwoofers. Slimmer than smoked meat at less than 4” in depth, this small sub has HUGE sound.

Butyl rubber surround

Dual 4Ω voice coils

Minimum enclosure volume of 0.50 cubic feet Required mounting depth of less than 4”

RMS/Peak (W) 250/500

Sensitivity (DB) 84

Magnet Size (OZ) 43

Mounting Depth (IN) 3.88
The headunit driving the KAC-9106D and the Memphis 15SA12D4 12" Shllow Mount Sub is a Pioneer X6800BS model

Input sensitivity is gain.

Bass boost is not optional. Bass boost always distorts the soundwave and can cause damage to equipment.

Hpf should be around 75 and lpf should be around 30

The input sensitivity is the gain. Read up on setting the gains properly here: Using test tones to set amplifier gain or set it to match the RCA preout voltage of your HU, which is 2v (assuming you're using RCA).

BSchrowang is right, bass boost is like an EQ boost at 40Hz and causes more problems than its worth. It makes the sub appear louder to newbies until it frys the coils because of clipping. If you set you gains right you shouldn't need it.

The LPF (or low pass filter) filters allows frequencies below what its set to to "pass through" while filtering out what's above it. For a car sub you usually want something around 80Hz, but it depends on what sounds best to you. Setting it too high and you'll play more mid-bass, which is more directional than sub bass, so it'll draw your attention back. Most people don't like this. Too low and you'll miss out on some frequencies.

The ISF (or infrasonic [sometimes subsonic] filter) is meant to filter out frequencies too low for the sub/enclosure to play. Do you have a ported box? If so, you'll want it a half octave below tuning. Setting it to 30 is most likely what you'll want.

Hey there thank you for the information very helpful I do have one more question though. The ISF filter for a sealed enclosure with 0.80 ft.³ of air should be set at what? The box that I have installed looks like this.

81QFDWa4f3L._SL1500_.jpg

71QyIDbmviL._SL1500_.jpg

Chevy Corvette C5 Z06 Single 12" Subwoofer Enclosure Sub Box 1997-2004

Enclosure Volume: 0.85 Cu. Feet/ Mounting Depth: 7-3/8"/ Subwoofer Cutout: 11"

High Quality Terminal Cups (accepts Banana Plugs or Bare Wire)/ Quality Black Wrapping Carpet

Dimensions: 21.50"W x 18.5" TD x 9" BD x 8.50" H

This Enclosure Fits: Chevy Corvette C5 Z06 Single 10" Subwoofer Enclosure Sub Box 1997-2004

unnamed.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

As you can see the enclosure fits very flush due to the custom molding for the vehicle. The only problem is its only 0.85cuft of airspace and hardly any depth.

Here is why such a great design falls short.

81_Hr_bhuc_RL_SL1500.jpg

81_QFDWa4f3_L_SL1500.jpg

When I originally bought this box I had a comp VR 12" Sub ready for it because the specs said 7 3/8" deep. Then I had to return the Comp VR for a PR-12 Memphis Shallow. The magnet would hit that lip making it impossible for any normal size sub to fit the box properly. So if you have ever have thought about buying this box for your vette be very aware of that lip. As it severly limits your subwoofers to choose from.

Here is my other vehicle for same amp and headunit setup, the only difference is the subs are kicker comp vt's. The truck has a X6800BT headunit while the vette has a X6800BS headunit.

My_Cummins_Deisel_and_Z06_Corvette.jpg

Custom_Fit_Enclosures_HA_SUB_PACKAGE363_detailed.jpg

An amazing enclosure than hides under the quad cab rear seats for a true stealth appearance.

The bass in the truck is louder overall, but when it comes to punch and vibration effects the single pr-12 hits harder than the two comp vt's in the truck eventhough both vehicles use the KAC-1906D

Last edited by a moderator:

Normally when you have an amp you have one gain setting, but my Kenwood KAC-K9106D has all 4 of these. Would I be correct in saying THE Input sensitivity[v] is the gain itself. LPF Hz would be set to match my Memphis PR-12 LPF Frequency according to my subwoofer hz specs. Bass boost is optional and ISF frequency is what exactly?...
I just looked it up, it's InfraSonic Frequencies, too low to hear anyway but your amplifier will try and produce them if not attenuated here. I'd imagine tuning it by turning it up until it starts to affect how you hear the low bess then back it off a bit. But this tuning idea is just a guess.

John Kuthe...

thanks for all the help I set it up correctly as suggested and the soundstage now sounds correct. I noticed how much cleaner the sound is just by taking the bass boost off. It was turned on inside the headunit. Just adding +1 of bass boost added alot of distortion. It was actually suprising to compare while testing, how much it distorted the sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.