where do you buy a tool to crimp big wire

Why is that? I've heard the opposite earlier, and would like to hear the argument for soldering as well.
Soldering will always be superior. The solder will help create better contact between the wire and the terminal. The solder becomes liquid and when applied properly will create a higher surface-area contact bond between the two. This means less resistance to current flow.
Ive seen the video showing a crimped connection having more holding strength than a soldered connection, but that's not the point nor is it relevant. The creator of the video failed to realize this, as have many that have watched it since. If that is what you are referring to as prior evidence against solder.

IMO the best is simply to do both. I crimp and solder usually, because im anal and I worry about vibration. But if I was going to do one or the other, Id solder.

Soldering will always be superior. .
This just isn't true.

The more metal in the solder, the more brittle it is, so the more likely it is to break under vibration.

The more lead in the solder, the softer, and more durable, but the less conductive.

A crimp not only has direct metal to metal transfer, but wont crack or break.

In fact, if you attempt to pull apart a PROPERLY crimped wire, the wires will break before the crimp will.

Soldering will always be superior. The solder will help create better contact between the wire and the terminal. The solder becomes liquid and when applied properly will create a higher surface-area contact bond between the two. This means less resistance to current flow.
Ive seen the video showing a crimped connection having more holding strength than a soldered connection, but that's not the point nor is it relevant. The creator of the video failed to realize this, as have many that have watched it since. If that is what you are referring to as prior evidence against solder.

IMO the best is simply to do both. I crimp and solder usually, because im anal and I worry about vibration. But if I was going to do one or the other, Id solder.

This.

Crimp, then torch + solder.

This just isn't true.
The more metal in the solder, the more brittle it is, so the more likely it is to break under vibration.

The more lead in the solder, the softer, and more durable, but the less conductive.

A crimp not only has direct metal to metal transfer, but wont crack or break.

In fact, if you attempt to pull apart a PROPERLY crimped wire, the wires will break before the crimp will.
Did you intentionally ignore everything I wrote after what you quoted, or did you just stop reading? I addressed almost every point you made already.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

fatboyracing

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
fatboyracing
Owensboro KY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date