When figuring our amp draw to determine battery needs which to use? RMS or Peak?

Participant count
  • Participant list

skogie1
10+ year member

Running an Alpine m-1000 and a Kicker zx-350.4. I'm trying to figure what my electrical needs are. The alpine will max out at 1900w (or 2000w depending on which website you use) and the kicker amp at 453 according to the certificate it came with. (Note: I've got two 2 ohm dvc subs wired in series/parallel to achieve a 2 ohm load for the alpine amp. This wiring allows the amp to run at the 1000w rms rating.) So when I'm figuring out my electrical power needs, should I use the max ratings? It seems like I should, but I thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks in advance.

Good to hear. That means I don't need to spend as much on a power supply. Any thoughts on how to determine what sort of continuous amp draw you can get from a starter battery? There's a good tutorial on youtube on how to figure out your ampere needs (

) but it requires you to know the amp hours (ah) of your battery. My starter battery only gives a cca rating and a total amp rating. Thanks.
(I'm currently doing the big 3 upgrade and if it fails to stop the dimming then I'm going to add a deep cycle battery so I'm trying to figure what sort of power I need to add, if I do need to beef up the power supply.)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.