When did you say, "I need more."

sungwei
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
lkj
At what point did you want to upgrade your speakers, subs, amp, headunit, etc.? I'm talking more about people who already have aftermarket stuff, but I guess people with stock stuff as well. I'm not going to do anything anytime soon as I'm pretty happy with my setup. However, I can't help but to wonder sometimes about how a really expensive set of components would sound, or a nicer sub. I mean I think to myself: man this sounds great, but man what would it sound like if it was better...? Maybe I should re-install my stock set up just so I can learn to appreciate what I have again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Whan I got the SPL bug //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It was after my ed phase ...

I wanted to feel the bass hit me.

The difference is HUGE! I just upgraded the Infinity Ref. 5x7's to 6.5 comps, and it was an improvement across the board. Of course you must have a dedicated amp to make them really sing.

Upgrading is natural progression to me. Now if i just had the money to keep upgrading......

When i put my 6.5's in they were a world better than my 6x9's and my pioneer sub was way better than my sony, and the list goes on. In the end its not so much how other people like your setup it matters most how it pleases you.

-Mike

I usually upgrade my stuff when I get a new car.

1st car: radio shack HU, kicker prefab ported box with 2 12's and horns, us acoustics amp, 2 way coaxials (polk ex 4x6 and poneer 6 x9).

2nd car: Panasonic HU, BA Rally components front and rear, single 12" RF Punch ported through rear deck, Sony ES amp for components, xtant for sub.

3rd car: Sony ES CDX-C860 HU, BA pro 6.5^3 components, 2 10" BA competitor subs in a sealed box, 3 xtant amps.

Now: SONY ES cdx-c910, same components, 12" IDmax sealed, Audison amp.

I'm probably not gonna do too much upgrading for a while until DVD-audio becomes more common. Then it'll be 5.1 DVD audio, with a nav system, and all the other goodies. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I just like trying out new stuff //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I'll put something better and new in, and it will sound great. Then, I'll gradually get "used" to the sound and it doesn't impress me as much anymore, so I'll upgrade something. That will sound better for a while, till I get used to it, so I'll upgrade something else. The cycle just goes on and on.

Or, I just get tired of using the same equipment for a while. I like using new [different] equipment, just to see how much of a change it made or how good something is. Other than my HU (hehehe....which I just upgraded for the first time in 2yrs), I usually don't keep anything in my car for more than 6 months. Sell and get something new to play around with //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'll upgrade because I'm just **** picky. I know what sound I am looking for, and if I exhaust my options with a component, then it's time to get something else.

I'm a mildly obsessive-compulsive perfectionist. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Boredom.

When I hear or see something different in someone else's install that I like.

That last one is a good one for therapy, as I can totally, and for good reason, blame everything on someone else! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

when I got my van //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif it's a commercial vehicle, so it comes from the factory with nothing but the standard Ford AM/FM radio (no cass, no CD) and stock speakers that are rated for probably 5W RMS.

had to build the system up from there...

I upgrade out of bordom... or I have extra cash lying around. I added some components in my truck 3-4 months ago (see sig) and it's a world of difference. Everything is louder, clearer, richer highs, etc. Having a nice set of components is a must, of couse you have to have an amp to run them too.

I'll put something better and new in, and it will sound great. Then, I'll gradually get "used" to the sound and it doesn't impress me as much anymore, so I'll upgrade something. That will sound better for a while, till I get used to it, so I'll upgrade something else. The cycle just goes on and on.
x2.........................

I'm still impressed with my set up, but I can already tell that I will soon become numb to it. I used to listen and everytime I'd be really wowed. Now I'm getting spoiled and I wonder how much better it would sound as a 3 way set up. Or maybe with a nicer sub. Of course I'm going to continue to tweak what I have. Maybe that alone will be enough difference. I'm going to put my sub in a ported box and tune it properly. That should be a big difference in and of itself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.