Wheel painting

Im looking to DIY paint my wheels on my Avalon ! Looking for some advice on paint! Id rather use a good ratle method! The wheels im painting r just stock wheels scrathed up and dented in a few spots they look ugly just want a quick and cheap way to spruce up the look a lil! I decided on black for the color , i hear rustoleums stove black is pretty tough stuff and that would work for a quick and project like this! I know the paint will chip over time but the wheels could be touched up with a few sprays!

u can just sand and paint 3coats then use clear coat but i've seen some of these shows use special stuff and by them time they don't cost about $250 u can get 4 new wheels on discount tire right now for probably $400., i've seen times i could get 4 17" wheels and tires for $490, just sign up for the credit card and u can use it right then., i just used mine 30 mins ago for gas and i get a $10 bill credit just for buying gas..

I had bought some rims for my nissan nv200 from rim time paid them off and a week later got ran off road by a text driver and curbed rashed the sides of my rims. So pissed right. Well I youtube a couple ideas and came up with a fairly cheep way to fix. I bought a can of the metal harden bondo and the primer paint and clear coat for rims. all under 100.00 bucks . then you just sand and sand and sand all damaged spots and rust spots on rims then fill in cracks scratches or gouges with bond. Not to thick just enough to fill. then start sanding again. using different grades of paper from 60 grit to 2000 wet sand. then prime the whole rim. sand with 2000 or more grit . clean and paint first coat. dry then wet sand again with 2000 grit or more. then pain a little more second coat dry. wet sand 2000 or more dry clear coat evenly dry wet sand 5000 grit. clean and spray clear coat again. it took me a good 2 days to complete. and i taped some different designs on rims and painted 2 different colors.

Attachments

• 20190820_030430.jpg
    20190820_030430.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 242
Im looking to DIY paint my wheels on my Avalon ! Looking for some advice on paint! Id rather use a good ratle method! The wheels im painting r just stock wheels scrathed up and dented in a few spots they look ugly just want a quick and cheap way to spruce up the look a lil! I decided on black for the color , i hear rustoleums stove black is pretty tough stuff and that would work for a quick and project like this! I know the paint will chip over time but the wheels could be touched up with a few sprays!
A paint job will only be as good as the prep. 99 percent prep work, 1 percent paint.

I'm doing the same thing. I would try dipyourcar.com first. It's in a spray can, It's easiest to apply, prepare and remove. Definitely read all the instructions. This is how I did my first run. It was very easy to remove as well. I am personally experimenting with color and clear coats and am learning /practicing on my wheels. Once I have the process down I will paint my car. I personally don't want to use spray can paint due to poor results displayed by others. I am much better at it now, but would still choose to use a spray gun. Technically I am using an airbrush set up, however the have a 4 piston compressor(very quiet) and easily use an HVLP 1ith 1.4mm tip. at this size it is considered a spray gun. Spray cans will provide okay results, no doubt. In some hands great results. For best results, spray gun. This opens many options for additives that typically are not in spray cans. Primer>Paint>+products that help the paint self level>choose a gloss>clearcoat 1K is easier than 2K.

This is what I have learned so far, I hope it helps. To answer the original question about which paint, they are different. This question = what's your favorite color. I have not used one that did not work as advertised so far, and I have tried about 8 different brands. Don't mix the brands. I did this once and created very expensive Jello. Results may vary

Last edited:
I'm doing the same thing. I would try dipyourcar.com first. It's in a spray can, It's easiest to apply, prepare and remove. Definitely read all the instructions. This is how I did my first run. It was very easy to remove as well. I am personally experimenting with color and clear coats and am learning /practicing on my wheels. Once I have the process down I will paint my car. I personally don't want to use spray can paint due to poor results displayed by others. I am much better at it now, but would still choose to use a spray gun. Technically I am using an airbrush set up, however the have a 4 piston compressor(very quiet) and easily use an HVLP 1ith 1.4mm tip. at this size it is considered a spray gun. Spray cans will provide okay results, no doubt. In some hands great results. For best results, spray gun. This opens many options for additives that typically are not in spray cans. Primer>Paint>+products that help the paint self level>choose a gloss>clearcoat 1K is easier than 2K.

This is what I have learned so far, I hope it helps. To answer the original question about which paint, they are different. This question = what's your favorite color. I have not used one that did not work as advertised so far, and I have tried about 8 different brands. Don't mix the brands. I did this once and created very expensive Jello. Results may vary
6 year old thread....

really.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...