Whats wrong?

THE_BASS_BOSS
10+ year member

Tx.
Ok i recently bout a 1000 watt Crunch P2250 amp and i have a pair of JBL GT-1081 subs with a custom built sealed box (.64volume) and it is sealed but has a little leak in it. I hooked them up yesterday and they don't soudn right. I was wonder what was wrong with my systerm can you tell me. Is it the leak or do i need a bigger box. My little 200 watt Optimus amp souded better than my crunch could that also be it? Let me know what you think.

JBL GT-1081

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS

VOICE COIL DC RESISTANCE: REVC (OHMS) . . . . . . 7.56

VOICE COIL INDUCTANCE @ 1 KHZ: LEVC (MH) . . . . . . . 1.73

DRIVER RADIATING AREA: SD (IN2) . . . . . . . . 55.02

SD (CM2) . . . . . . 355.00

MOTOR FORCE FACTOR: BL ™ . . . . . . . . 13.98

COMPLIANCE VOLUME: VAS (FT3) . . . . . . . . 3.17

VAS (LITERS) . . . . . 89.73

SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE: CMS (µM/N) . . . . 501.37

MOVING MASS, AIR LOAD: MMS (GRAMS). . . . . 60.61

MOVING MASS, DIAPHRAGM: MMD (GRAMS) . . . . 56.76

FREE-AIR RESONANCE: FS (HZ) . . . . . . . . 28.87

MECHANICAL Q: QMS . . . . . . . . . . . 6.55

ELECTRICAL Q: QES . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.43

TOTAL Q: QTS . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.40

MAGNETIC-GAP HEIGHT: HAG (IN) . . . . . . . . . 0.31

HAG (MM) . . . . . . . . 7.92

VOICE-COIL HEIGHT: HVC (IN) . . . . . . . . . 1.25

HVC (MM) . . . . . . . 31.75

MAXIMUM EXCURSION: XMAX (IN) . . . . . . . . 0.47

XMAX (MM) . . . . . . 11.91

The leak could very well be contributing to your problems by lowering the Q of the speaker to a level where it is actually counter productive. Seal it up right away....

JBL reccomends a .75ft^3 sealed enclosure for each subwoofer- so likely your enclosure is also contributing to the problem. Seal the enclosure first, and see what happens. If there is little change, a slightly larger enclosure may be needed.

The impedence of each sub being at 8 ohms could also be effecting this. Typically a speakers performance is hindered by more resistance.

Are your woofers phased correctly? Meaning- posative to posative and negative to negative on the wiring?

As you can see, this could be several things combined.

One other thing that you did not mention is your crossover frequency. It should be kept below 100Hz for a 10" model.

These are a few things that you can look into and see if they help.

take it easy,

-zane

Ok I sealed the little leak I had in the box but I still haven't tried it out yet anyways, I was wondering if that Poly fill box stuffing really works. I was thinking about buying some but I wanted to know if it would help any or if I was just going to waste my money.

Polyfil isnt a cureall for too small of an enclosure but it wont hurt to try being less than $5..If it doesnt do what youexpect you can always pull it back out to put into a box that fits the speakers parameters better.

Mike

Personally, I have yet to hear any audible difference in an enclosure with or without polyfill. I would suggest saving your money, unless you have some pillows you need to fill. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.