Whats wrong with my sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LivinLoud
10+ year member

Save The Planet--Buy DD
Earth
When I have my music playin the sub will be going with the beat and then makin this loud thumping noise and flex all the way out and then go back normal.

Ive had this setup for a while and didnt change anything....

When I have my music playin the sub will be going with the beat and then makin this loud thumping noise and flex all the way out and then go back normal.
Ive had this setup for a while and didnt change anything....

I’ll try to respond to this as no one else has. If the sub is flexing all the way out it sounds like either the amp is clipping or there is a short circuit somewhere in the amp that is putting out full or a lot of current to the sub for a second or two. Check your equipment for visible damage/heat marks. Does your amp get very hot.? Are you components getting old?

Or it could be voice coil damage, loose connections (wear) in the sub. Possibly it’s shorting in the coil, changing the resistance of the coil, say from a 4 ohm coil down to 1 ohm coil or less. This makes the amp put out much more power in that second or two causing it to over-drive the sub.

Either way it is not very good for either component. You can check the voice coil with an ohm meter. I do not know how to test the amp without fancy equipment.

Could also be a bad signal from your heat unit. If it is sending crap to the amp, the amp will just muliply the crap to the sub.

May be you have a (good) buddy that could lend you some old equipment to test it with. If you change the sub and the problem goes away, than you know it is the sub for example. Or use a different pre-out from your head unit.

my 2 cents

yeah what amp do you have?? I've seen some amps freak out and actually BURP subs for no reason at all. especially cheap amps. pricey amps have done it too though.

Also is your sub ported? you maybe be going under tuning if you don't have and SS filter.

I have a Kicker 800.2 and 1 15" L5. I dont have any warranties.

Anyway a while ago my amp stopped working. I took it apart there didnt seem anything wrong with it at all. Even had my electronics teacher look at it and he even said everything looked fine. I switched the sub to the left channel on my amp and everything worked fine so I figured I blew the right channel somehow.

Now it seems exactly what you guys said. It seems like the sub is gettin a lot more power for a second or two. The only thing that I can see what is wrong with my setup is that my remote wire is kinda all tore up. I dont know if that could cause it or not. My sub is in a ported box.

And yes It does it with all the music that I play AND every once in a while when I'm not listenning to it.

But maybe there is something wrong internally with the amp but just something I cant find. I planned on selling this sub in a couple days since my DD 9512 is here and my Kicker 1200.1 will be here shortly.

Thanks a lot for your replies....Maybe I will be able to figure this out.....

just a whim....

sounds like the amp is sending a DC signal every so often. with one channel already blown, i would think the amp is taking a crap

well if the right channel is blown then you are getting like no power to that sub. maybe 100-150 most of the time, on some frequencies maybe the full 225w or whatever. But its the amp, might as well buy another one since you aren't getting hardly any power out of it anyway?

The old square Art series amps from PPI would do that if you didn't have it grounded right. Soon as you ground it good it would stop flexing the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.