What's wrong with my speaker?

TOday i received my car back from the audio shop. I was in their parking lot, and i played a song called blue by gemini. My driver side woofer rattled like if it were blown. The problem was that the speakers were only half way turned up, with only half bass boost. I understand the sound of a speaker which is distorting. In no way were my speakers distorting, yet the driver side speaker sounded blown. At this point i spoke to the audio guy and tried showing him, except it wasnt making the noise anymore . Same song same volume. Later on it did it again. What is this? It has happened twice, volume and/or bass boost dont seem to affect it. Both times bass boost was only partial. Ive played the speakers with high bass boost and pushed them pretty high with out any distortion just out of curiosity, then turned them down to a more comfortable listening level with no noise issues, why am i occasionally getting this "blown" noise??

With the current settings I did a frequency test. The pass side woofer sounded great, driver side was rattling in the cone.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

I will turn off bass boost and retry the test, but at this point it seems the driver side has issues regardless.

To clearify, i had a custom set up, 8 inch woofers in doors with tweeters mounted in mirror pod. The 8's are rated at 50hz to i think 6khz. I have hpf set at 63hz for doors. Anyways i went to turn off all bass boost and realized that it was already off when i did the first frequency test. Just to be sure i did it twice. The rattling is in all frequencies starting around 55 or so. I used a youtube hz test. I dont let the speakers distort what so ever, everyone's been in a car with their friend who plays music too loud for the speakers. If you know what to hear for then you know when the speakers are getting beat up. I dont do that, so no they aren't distorting.

so bass boost + a pretty low hpf on your doors is a great combination
Boy it pays to read. No guy. No bass boost. None at all. It happens with most songs. Ive spoke to my audio install guy, he admists that he heard the issue when he installed them. When i asked why he didnt mention it, he said "if i turn the hpf up a bit the noise is barely audible"....jack ***. anyways i spoke to the ebay guy and let him know that my audio install guy informed me that the ohm value is proper but theres something wrong with the speaker. He is sending another pair out. case closed. thanks for everyones thoughts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.